Threat

Chapter 67

It was two days later, and they were still debating on where they should go. Genesis had let it slip that Jenova was most likely in Nibelheim, and that meant the others were convinced that going to destroy her would be the best course of action. It took Sherry a very aggravating afternoon to convince them they couldn't until they had some form of protection from her influence. They had all assumed she already had a plan for that, even though she had only spoken with Aerith once.

They were all gathered in Sephiroth's office that afternoon and going over everything once again. Neither Angeal nor Sephiroth were willing to deny the possibility of trouble anymore, but they still weren't sure how much to believe. They were interrupted when the door jerked open without a knock, and Tseng walked in. His frown found Sherry first, but it swept over them all before he closed the door and headed to her.

His frown had Sherry tensed. It was out of place, and she could only imagine what he wanted. She didn't have long to worry before he spoke. "Did you know that Hojo had Aerith once before? What he has planned for her?"

Sherry sighed and nodded. "Yes, after he had Gast killed, he brought both Aerith and Ifalna back. As for his plans, he is a sick man."

She paused and tilted her head. "I am shocked that he actually recorded that information. He isn't well known for putting the whole truth down in his paperwork. Hell, it wouldn't have surprised me if he had listed himself as her father too, the psycho jackass."

Her attention was drawn by Sephiroth. "What do you mean? Why would he claim such a thing? Could he be? Do I have siblings?"

Sherry sighed and bit back a wave of frustration and pain before she shook her head. "No, Professor Gast is her father. I didn't mean anything by that statement other than the fact that Hojo is a liar."

Sephiroth's eyes had widened. He wasn't given a chance to respond before they turned to Tseng's muttered curse. Sherry almost cringed at the stormy look in his eyes when they pinned her in place. His tone was clipped. "I don't know how you found all this out when it took risky maneuvers for me to find them, but I will find out."

Genesis took a step forward, but Sherry grabbed his hand, and Tseng pinned him with a glare. It was several tense moments later that he finally turned back to Sherry. "Be warned that I will have someone watching you." He paused, and she watched his jaw clench before he spoke again. "However, I believe it would be best for Aerith if she were to leave, and all of you are the best option to get her out of the city. You have one day. After that, I will share this with Veld. If you are still here, I cannot say what may happen."

He didn't wait for a response before he turned on his heel to walk out. He paused at the door and looked back once. "You have already proven yourself to be resourceful. Do not prove otherwise now. I am already willing to kill you and be done with it."

Genesis had a fireball in hand as soon as the words left Tseng's mouth. Thankfully, Angeal was close enough to grab his arm before he could let it fly. Tseng barely spared a glare for him before he walked out and slammed the door behind himself.

Once he was gone, Angeal and Sephiroth turned to Sherry with drawn gazes. It was the General that spoke. "It seems that you were not exaggerating." He paused and looked to where Genesis was still glaring between Angeal and the door. Sephiroth sighed and called out to get the man's attention. "Genesis, we are out of time. We need to decide on our next move and put it into play tomorrow. I will agree that we do not have time to argue further."

Genesis clenched his fists several times before he finally gave a curt nod. "There are no dreams, no honor remains. However, I will not stand idly by and allow harm to come to Sherry. We will retrieve Aerith as we leave."