Karaoke

Chapter 45

Once they made it outside, they stopped next to the vehicle, so Genesis could get a better look at Sherry's face. When he saw the bruising that had already started, he had to fight the urge to go back into the building. He shoved it down and placed his hand over her cheek gently as he released a curaga. At least the materia in his bangles were not for show.

As the pain eased, she smiled up at him. "Thank you."

Their attention was drawn over to a frowning Caius. "What happened?"

Sherry was saved from answering by Kaylan. "That was her douchebag ex. I thought we would never see him again since it's been more than a year. I'm not sure where the hell he's been hiding, but he's been an obsessive prick since she dumped him."

The men all looked to Sherry. She sighed and shook her head. "It's a long story. Why don't we get going and I'll tell it on the way home."

They gave her nods and started to get in, but Kaylan stopped them all. "Wait!" When she had their attention, she frowned at Sherry. "I refuse to let that asshole ruin tonight. Why don't we stop on the way home and pick up some Don Julio, and we'll do karaoke at the house?"

Sherry lifted a brow. "And you'll sing? In front of people?"

Kaylan gave her a nervous chuckle, but when Sherry started to shake her head, she jumped forward. "I'll think about it!"

Sherry stepped back and held up both hands with a grin. "Okay, okay. It's fine with me. It's still early."

With that decided, they all moved to get in the car. Jerry insisted on driving since he only had one drink. Sherry didn't object. That meant she was the one to climb into the very back. To her surprise, Genesis joined her. Sephiroth ended up sitting in the front. It was a strange setup, but Sherry was still shaken up enough that she hardly paid it any mind.

Once they got going, Genesis turned to her. He didn't even have to ask before she sighed and leaned back. "I guess you want that explanation, huh?"

"If you have not seen him in over a year, why did he act like that?" Genesis' frown was nearly a full-on scowl.

Sherry put her face into her hands. She wasn't as upset as she was disgusted and pissed off now that it was over. At the moment, she had been too shocked, especially after he hit her. She had barely managed to stand up right away. She spoke through her fingers. "To understand, I would need to give you a little history."

When she felt his hand on her arm, she finally looked up. She was surprised to see only concern. It helped bolster her scattered nerves, and she sat back again. "We dated in high school, and he wasn't like that, or at least I was never exposed to it if he was. When he left for college, I had to stay here and take care of my family. It was years before he came back. When he did, we picked up where we left off, but he wasn't the same as I remembered. Or maybe he was, and I finally saw the truth. Either way, all it took was one drunken rage for me to break it off."

Kaylan had been looking over the seat and spoke up harshly at that point. "I thought you had a restraining order on him?"

Sherry shook her head with a disgusted look. "I filed that more than two years ago. It's been expired for at least a year now."

Kaylan looked shocked. "Wow. I didn't realize it had been that long." She paused and looked confused for a moment. "If that's the case, why haven't we seen him?"

Sherry huffed a bitter laugh. "Because he is many unpleasant things, but he isn't stupid. He knew better than to come out to the house, and I haven't had many reasons to leave much in the last year and a half."