Unexpected Reaction

Chapter 42

Sherry looked back and forth between the two men. She knew Sephiroth would recognize the events, but she wasn't sure if he had yet learned the whole truth behind them. It hadn't come out when she spoke to him. Well, it was a moot point because it was about to now. She turned back to Genesis. "I know that it is hard to hear, but you need to know the truth. It is the lies that Hollander keeps feeding you that makes everything so much worse."

When he lowered his brows at her delay, she quickly continued. "There is an incident that takes place sometime in late summer of the year 2000. You are injured during a spar, and something about the injury keeps you from being able to heal."

Sephiroth sat up straighter and gave her a shocked look. "The VR spar?"

She nodded before she turned back again. "That injury is what prompts Hollander to tell you the truth about your birth, or at least enough of it to get you to join him in creating a rebellion. You leave with him and a large number of Seconds and Thirds that he uses to make clones of you. He said it was to try and find the cure for your degradation, but he was building an army that would follow him without question."

Genesis held up a hand. "Degradation?"

Sherry had to look away for a moment. Just knowing that the possibility of that problem still lurked under his skin was making her nauseous. She couldn't stand thinking of this man in front of her succumbing to something so horrible. She swallowed the sensation and turned back. "The injury that won't heal was just the beginning. The way it happened started a cascade. Your body started to reject Jenova. Unfortunately, those cells have already merged with yours completely. Essentially, your body was killing itself slowly."

Both men were giving her horrified looks. She wasn't surprised. Sephiroth's voice was so low, she almost missed it. "I can understand why he would leave after learning that." He paused and looked straight at Genesis. "What I don't understand is why he felt he had to leave alone. He didn't tell me what happened, or Angeal even. Why?"

Sherry looked between them and shook her head. "I can't say what the reason was. I only know what happened afterward."

Sephiroth frowned and looked to Genesis. "Everything went to hell. That is what happened. It was only a matter of months before Angeal left as well. I didn't even have a clue why until after-"

He cut himself off and stood. Genesis stood as well. His voice was hard. "Until what? What aren't you telling me?"

Sherry stood and put a hand on his arm. He glared down to her, and she tried to remember that it wasn't her he was mad at. "He probably didn't want to say anything about what happened to Angeal. That was hard for all of you."

Genesis froze. His movements were slow and deliberate as he grasped Sherry by her upper arms. At least he was keeping his strength in check. "Zachary said that Angeal was killed. Is that what you mean?"

Sherry wanted to cry at the look in his eyes. She wished he would let her go so she could give him a hug. She had to settle for a nod as his grip tightened. "Yes. He didn't join you, but he did leave Shinra. He felt he had no honor left. He-" She couldn't bring herself to say it aloud. She wished Sephiroth hadn't either.

"What she can't say is that Angeal became so desperate that he forced Zack to fight him. He was given no choice. Zack either had to lay down his arms and allow Angeal to kill him, or to kill his mentor instead." He paused and looked Genesis in the eye over Sherry's head. "Zack may have dealt the killing blow, but Angeal's despair was the cause of his death. We cannot let it come to that again."