What's Really Important

Chapter 77

Though the morning had been spent in a tense conversation, or perhaps to spite it, most of the group was able to take their forced leisure time that afternoon and made the most of it. Angeal told Zack and Aerith about the orchards and some of the best places to see, and it was not long before the two of them disappeared. When Reno came in asking about them, the only response he received was that they were running errands and would be back later. Reno only laughed. He knew Tseng was going to love to hear that.

Angeal went back to his family's home. He didn't get to come back to Banora often and wanted to make the most of his time there. He even asked Sephiroth if he wanted to join him for the afternoon, at least. That was an opportunity the General was willing to take if it got him out of the Rhapsodos' home. Not that they were rude, but it was uncomfortable, as the conversation had turned to family matters once again.

As for Genesis' parents, despite their initial reaction to Sherry, they were pleased to have another day to get to know her better. Genesis and his father had gone to one side of the room and were watching the two women as they went through his childhood pictures and shared stories of his younger adventures. As embarrassed as he was, Genesis didn't stop them. He was forced to reevaluate what was meaningful to him and was shocked to find fame fell far below the people currently in the room.

--------------------------------------------------

It was much later that night, and Sherry and Genesis had finally settled into each other's arms. Their breathing had evened, and Genesis had almost drifted into sleep when Sherry's voice broke the comfortable silence. "Gen, I know the timing sucks, but there is something I've been meaning to talk to you about."

He sighed as he shifted and turned, so he was facing her instead of her head resting on his shoulder. "Love, you do realize no man likes to hear those words."

She giggled and shook her head, but her expression quickly returned to something more somber. "It's not about us. It's about Angeal and Sephiroth."

He raised a brow at her. "That isn't any better. Hasn't anyone told you it is bad manners to mention other men when you're in your lover's arms? Especially your husband."

She pushed herself up on one arm so she could look down at him with an exasperated expression. "I'm being serious."

He laid back with another sigh before he pulled her closer. It was several seconds before he spoke again. "You think I should tell them what is coming, don't you?"

She had to swallow before she could respond. "Yes, I do. They are your best friends. They need to know. Trust me."

She felt him tense under her and felt tears prick her eyes. She knew what she did probably still hurt him, but she couldn't let her mistake be repeated. She spoke before he could. "Look, I know I didn't tell you, and it was the worst decision I ever made. I thought I would end up staying in that cave, and you would never see it happen, but I should have known things are never that easy. I did tell Kaylan, that was why she was over all the time. She at least had the opportunity to spend my last days with her making memories. You need to give them that chance. Even my brother knew. I mean, he knew as soon as he found out I was a l'cie, but you get the point."

He looked over to her with a frown, and she wanted to look away. She forced herself to face his ire. "You told her and not me?"

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath before she could speak. "I just told you it was a mistake. I wish there was some way I could go back and change it. If there was, I would tell you too. I was deluding myself to ever believe you would be happy to come back to Gaia and never find out the truth. I'm sorry."