Promise Kept

Chapter 78

After arrangements were made, Genesis led Sherry down a series of alleys and up several flights of stairs. She was thoroughly lost by the time he got to a large gate with a smaller one inset and told her to close her eyes. She gave him an odd look but did as he asked. That didn't mean she didn't squeal when he lifted her from her feet. "Don't worry, it won't be far."

She snorted at the playful note to his voice and wrapped her arms around his neck. She decided to enjoy the ride. He had been correct; it was only a matter of a few minutes later that he put her down with a warning not to open her eyes yet. She huffed but allowed him to turn her slightly before he moved to stand behind her and envelope her. Once his arms were around her waist, he leaned and whispered into her ear. "You can open your eyes now."

She blinked her eyes a few times against the brilliant oranges and golds of the setting sun. It took her a few moments to realize what she was seeing. Her breath caught in her throat at the sight of the sea spread out below them with no view of the city. He had taken her to the very end of the mako cannon, and he had been correct. As stifling as the town had been, the view from here was breathtaking.

A slight breeze had picked up, and the clouds skidding past the setting sun matched their broken images mirrored in the endless ocean below. Even the sounds of the city were muted to the point that they could pretend they were alone. Just the two of them standing at the edge of the world watching one day end with the promise of eternity on the horizon. It was both beautiful and bitter in its symbolism. Sherry felt the tears on her cheeks and didn't bother trying to stop them.

It was a long time later, and the sun was nearly gone before she finally spoke. She turned in his arms with a soft look, despite her tears. "I did ask if I would be able to see it. Thank you."

He brushed her hair behind an ear and shook his head. "I was unsure if we would be able to, but I am glad we had the opportunity."

She took a deep breath and swallowed once before she managed a smile. "We should probably get back before Veld sends out a search party. He's antsy enough as it is." Genesis grimaced at her reminder but nodded. That didn't mean their walk back was any less leisurely than it had been on the way there.

----------------------------------------------

The next morning, Everyone but Tseng was already on the ferry. The Turk second-in-command had stayed behind to oversee the transfer of the helicopter so they would have it once they got to the Western Continent as well.

Sherry took advantage of the slight delay and pulled Sephiroth off to the side. He gave Genesis a curious glance, but the redhead grimaced before he waved them both off. Both Sephiroth and Angeal gave them odd looks, but the General allowed her to lead him a short distance away.

Once they were around the corner, Sherry handed him a medium-sized package with a smile. "I know you might not consider me a friend, but I saw this and had to get it for you."

Sephiroth wasn't sure how to react at first, but when she continued to look at him expectantly, he opened the gift. What he uncovered had his eyes shooting up to hers in shock. "What!? How did you know?"

Sherry's smile dimmed a little, and she shook her head. "I know it might seem a little strange coming from me, but I also know that you are incredibly talented. You might not have ever let anyone else see it if I didn't do this, and that would be a waste. I'm sure it has to be cathartic to create something beautiful every now and then. Don't let anyone tell you it's unbecoming of a General, because it's not."