Seize the Moment

Chapter 46

Once the song was finished, she was shocked when Genesis showed an interest in singing. Sherry stared at him for several moments until he looked back with a raised brow. "You play that device constantly. I have heard so many different varieties of music from this world that I feel I can handle this much. Besides, I thought you knew everything. Did you not know I loved music?"

Sherry shook her head slowly. "No. I never said I knew everything. Only the big stuff. I never knew you liked music. What kind?"

He stood and smirked. "Whatever kind catches my attention. Why don't you sit down and listen?"

Sherry slowly moved to do just that while Kaylan helped Genesis find the song he was looking for. Sephiroth brought her a fresh drink and sat next to her with a small smile. He gestured to his one-time friend. "He doesn't do this often, so this is a treat."

She looked over at the General with shock as she accepted the glass he handed her. "This just makes me wonder what else I don't know. Man, there is so much more." She took a deep breath as the music started, and Genesis took the microphone. He sang two songs back to back that completely blew her mind. Neither of them fit her image of the fiery, literature-loving Commander, but he did them both exceptionally well. They were both upbeat pop songs.

When he was done, he turned to see her watching him with widened eyes. He gave her a wink as he handed the microphone back to Kaylan. "I believe this was a good idea, after all."

Sherry looked over to see Sephiroth giving her a contemplative look at her continued shock. It was at that point that she started laughing. She had known that these men were more than just characters. It was hard not to when she could reach out and touch them, but knowing that and knowing that were two different things. They weren't just a responsibility or characters that were out of place, they were multi-faceted humans that had likes and dislikes that a mere game could never hope to convey. It was at that point that something else occurred to her as well, and she stood.

"Genesis, would you mind taking a walk with me?"

He turned to her with a raised brow. "Wouldn't you be cold?"

She grinned at him. "I don't think it'll be a problem."

Something in her eyes must have shown him more than her words conveyed, as his eyes widened, but only for a moment. "At least grab a jacket." She grabbed the first one she laid her hands on in the hall closet, and they headed outside together. Neither of them noticed the frown Caius was wearing as he watched them leave.

Neither of them spoke right away. It wasn't until they were a short distance from the house that Genesis finally stopped them. He could still see fine, but he didn't want Sherry to fall, especially since she was still a bit inebriated. He took her arm as he turned her to face him. "Tell me, why was it so important that we talk in private in the cold?"

Sherry couldn't contain a blush, but she didn't let it stop her. "I wanted to tell you that you were right."

Genesis chuckled. "Oh? That is common enough not to require all this."

She glared at him slightly. "You know, confidence is sexy, arrogance is not."

He still smirked at her. "Then why are we out here?"

She sighed and started to turn away, but he pulled her back around. He cupped one of her cheeks, and his smirk softened into something more alluring. "I want to hear from your beautiful lips what it is you want."

Sherry suddenly felt like her knees were jello and took a step closer to him so she could rest at least her hand on his chest. "It's simple. I want you. I don't know how much time we have, but I'm tired of being miserable. I want to embrace at least a little bit of happiness while I have the chance. If you want me."