Confrontations

Chapter 80

Genesis sneered at Angeal's assumption, but the look dropped quickly. He then pulled back his left sleeve and revealed the mark on his wrist. When he did, Sherry did the same. She looked up at her husband, and at his nod, began to explain. "I have already told you that this is the mark of a l'cie. We have both been chosen by Minerva to carry out a specific task, a focus. These marks give us the power to do so, but there is more to them."

Angeal was already frowning, and Sephiroth was wearing a horrified look. He had a feeling he already knew what was coming, and it was impossible, but it explained so many things that were still unexplained. His hypothesis was proven when she continued. "These marks are also used to either punish a failed l'cie or reward a successful one. Any l'cie that fail become c'eith. Those are monsters made of crystal that feel only rage and regret. The only thing that can be done for them is to kill them and put them out of their misery."

She paused and had to look away while she swallowed the lump in her throat. She was grateful when Genesis was the one to pick up. "I have seen firsthand what a l'cie gets when they succeed, as this is Sherry's second focus. To quote the goddess' champion, we will be given eternal life. We will watch over our loved ones as we slumber, trapped inside our crystal statues."

Sephiroth stormed to the other side of the room to keep from saying something he would regret later. Angeal looked between the two of them in shock. His gaze finally landed on Sherry. "That statue he brought back. That was you!?"

She couldn't speak, so she nodded. Angeal then pinned Genesis with a glare. "Why are you just now telling us this? Wait, you said you chose this? You knew what the outcome would be, and you asked to be marked? What were you thinking!?"

Genesis sneered. "You have no idea what it is like. You have not seen her wake from nightmares of that time. You have not seen the fear that haunts her eyes. I know I was not there when she faced the void. The dreams of everyone she loved, seeing them move on, knowing they were happy, and never being able to interact with them again. That is a special kind of torture. If you believe for one moment that I would have the woman I love face that alone again, you do not know me at all."

Angeal stepped back with widened eyes, but he was not given a chance to respond. Veld had just walked in. "Good, everyone is still here. I was lucky enough to find a guide that knows the young man you brought in earlier, so my job is already done. Now we need to discuss our next steps."

All four of the others turned to him with glares that intensified when they saw the three teenagers standing nervously behind him with a new addition. Sherry sighed as Tifa looked around with both curiosity and trepidation.

Genesis growled, but Angeal grabbed his arm. "We aren't done yet!"

Veld looked at the two of them as he walked over. "Whatever is going on, table it. We have plans to make." Both soldiers glared at him, but the Director didn't back down.

Sherry sighed again as she made her way over to the other four. She smiled at the two youngest and tried to ignore the sounds of the three men that were already arguing in a disjointed three-way match that didn't look like it was going to be resolved any time soon. "Why don't you guys go take a seat over there and get to know one another. If we're going to be working together, it can't hurt."

Tifa looked around her before she looked back. "It's not always like this, is it?"

Sherry shook her head with a forced chuckle. "Not at all. We've had several long days of hard travel to get here. I'm sure a little rest will get tempers back in order. Besides, I'm sure you've seen these two are nothing like that."