Only the Beginning

Chapter 86

Both Angeal and Sephiroth looked up and each other at the echo of an unexpected sound. Angeal was the first to speak. "Did you hear that?"

Sephiroth looked up before he looked back and nodded slowly. The pain in his eyes faded slightly as he smiled down at the portrait he was leaving behind. "It is time we left. Veld has already handled the mansion, and Cloud is ready to leave in the morning. Vincent has decided to return with us as well. We will be meeting Rufus on the way back. There is much to plan."

Angeal shook his head, and he watched his remaining friend retreat into his shell of work. He also looked back with sad eyes. The laughter they had both heard helped to ease his heart a little, but it was still hard to walk away. He sighed and managed a grin as he gestured back. "Let's get this over with already. Once we have Midgar in shape, I want to come back here and bring these two back to the city. Maybe we can have Aerith help to create a park or something. I think they would like that. Maybe in Loveless square, surrounded by flowers. Do you think I could get a dumbapple tree to grow there?"

Sephiroth chuckled and shook his head. He clapped Angeal's shoulder. "If anyone can, it would be you and Aerith."

They continued in silence until they were out of the reactor. Once they were back into the cold air, Sephiroth paused and pulled something out before he handed it to Angeal. The other Soldier took it with a curious look. "What's this?"

Sephiroth sighed. "Before we came to the reactor, Sherry gave me an envelope and told me it was from both of them. I didn't realize what it was at the time, but it was a letter from her that listed many things that we need to investigate when we get back and where we can find some of them." His lips lifted in a ghost of a smile as he continued. "Even though they knew they would be unable to be here, they wanted to continue to help."

Angeal swallowed thickly and held up the still sealed, much smaller envelope. "Then, what is this?"

Sephiroth shook his head. "I did not open it. It is addressed to you. It is in Genesis' handwriting."

Angeal looked down and then back up with wide eyes. Sephiroth gave him an understanding look. "You can open it when you are ready. I was only asked to read through the rest before I returned to Midgar. I am sure it was because it contained the details on the investigation."

Angeal shook off his stupor and slid his finger under the seal. "I didn't mean to make you feel like you were interfering." Once he had the letter open, he pulled it out and focused on the few lines that his best friend had left to help him understand.

Angeal,

I need you to understand that this was not an easy decision for me. It was not about leaving you behind, so much as it was about making sure Sherry was not alone. In the end, what I realized was the fact that you were not alone, and never would be. You have Sephiroth, and you have the Puppy. You also now have a Chocobo. Don't forget they are a matched set.

If we are lucky enough to see each other again during your lifetime, then I will consider myself doubly blessed by the Goddess. If not, then know that I will never be far from your side. Sherry has told me stories, and although you may not see me, know that I will be watching over you. We both will.

Until next we meet, whether in this life or the next, your friend in arms,

Genesis

Angeal sighed as he folded the letter back up and smiled over at Sephiroth. The General raised a brow in question, and Angeal shook his head. "It was a reminder that I should not have needed from the last person I expected. Let's go. I believe we have a Puppy and a Chocobo that are both being babysat. We need to make sure neither of them has made Veld angry enough to want to shoot them."