Chapter Six: Can't they see I'm in my jammies?

Song: Naked by Ella Mai

Chapter Six: Can't they see I'm in my jammies?

To say that it perturbed me that Zane hadn't spoken to me all week was an understatement. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I wanted him to talk to me, it's just unsettling that we just pass each other in the halls like we did before. Like nothing happened.

What exactly happened?

I thought I had made a new friend. Or, at least, an acquaintance.

What did you expect? He's the most popular guy in school, he has his own circle of friends, and you're you. He can't risk being seen with you in public.

Hey! I'm not that bad.

Do you have as high a social status as he? Does everyone know your name, want to know what you're doing and who you're doing it with, like you're some sort of celebrity?

No.

My point exactly. You're not even a cheerleader.

Ok, ok. I get it! For a conscience, you're sure mean sometimes.

I was just trying to prove my point.

You're right anyways.

Did you ask him what he was going to do with the information?

From the looks of it, nothing.

So, you're not worried that it'd be the calm before the storm?

I just groaned. There couldn't be any more problems for me. Another person who's been avoiding me all week is Leyla. No apology. No good news about her and Axel. Nothing.

I figured that since Axel talks to her at least once every day even if it's just to say hi, despite her not knowing I'm the reason, everything would be back to normal. I guess I was wrong.

All that doesn't matter now because it's Friday, and I'm taking a not-so-short walk to Kai's house. I still haven't seen him all week. We've called him a billion times, left him like a gazillion messages, but still nothing. Zero. Nada. Zilch. I should have gone sooner, but I was so selfishly wrapped in myself and my problems that I forgot.

So I told them not to worry because right after school, I'd head to his house.

********************

Well, here I was. I've been standing in front for about 3 minutes and I think it's time to enter. So I rang the doorbell.

No answer.

I rang it again until I heard a gruff voice yelling: "I'm coming!"

I heard footsteps, and after a while, the door was flung open.

Mr. Koryn?

Kai said he had a business arrangement overseas and wasn't coming back until midterms. What's he doing here?

"Mr. Koryn, good afternoon."

"Good afternoon Charvi." He looked like he hadn't slept in days.

"Sorry for the disturbance. I'm here to see Kai. He's been absent all week."

"I'm aware. This is not the right time."

"Please sir. I want to see him. Maybe I could help with whatever he's going through?"

"I don't think there's anything you could do to help." He began shutting the door.

I quickly shot my hand out and held it in place.