Chapter Thirty-three: I wish I had Mountain Ash for morons

Song: A Whole New World by Mena Massoud and Naomi Scott from the movie; Aladdin

Chapter Thirty-three: I wish I had Mountain Ash for morons

"A thought for a thought."

My head snapped towards Zane who had just parked in front of Dad's house.

"What?"

He turned fully to me. "You always look like your thoughts are going a thousand miles per hour and I want to know one of them, in exchange for one of mine."

I smiled. "I honestly don't know what to tell you."

"Choose the one you haven't told anyone before."

"You literally know my biggest secret."

"Another one."

I looked around contemplating what to tell him.

"Uh..." I don't think he'd like to hear I used to like Axel. It wasn't his business so he probably wouldn't even care. "I'm empty."

He laughed. "Was that a thought?"

"Nope. Now yours."

"I won't give you any until you tell me one."

I rolled my eyes. "Fine. Later, when I've thought of one."

"That's the spirit."

"Now I have to go face my step sister and her mother." I opened the car door.

"You're really rocking the whole Cinderella thing, aren't you?" He teased.

I laughed remembering my recent conversation with Veka about that. "Nah... That's Reveka's thing. I'm the fairy godmother."

He smiled. "She said that, didn't she?"

I nodded, smiling at how well they get along. I was about to shut the car door when I remembered a question I wanted to ask him.

"I don't mean to pry, but the whole Wren thing, what did you guys talk about?"

"He thought I was the one you were in love with."

I had a feeling.

"And what did you tell him?"

"The truth. That you're in love with some other guy that wasn't me."

That's really far from the truth.

"I see."

"Now, I don't mean to pry, but is this guy Xander?"

"What? Why would you even ask that?"

He shrugged. "I just noticed that you guys are really close and get along so well."

"So? We're best friends."

"I see. So, not meaning to pry again, who is it?"

I gave him a knowing smile, knowing he didn't know what I knew. It was more of a sad smile, but I doubt he noticed. "You don't want to know."

I closed the door before he would 'not mean to pry' again and force it out of me. I waved at him through the window, before I walked down the path and into the house.

It wasn't too late, so they were all still probably up. I heard chatter from the dining room, so they were probably eating. I rushed up to my room to drop my things before joining them. Wouldn't want anyone seeing my red wig, would I?

"Good evening." I greeted as I sat beside Reveka. They all sent greetings back, except Anastasia who was mastering the art of eating and texting.

"How'd you spend your day?" I asked Reveka as I took a bite out of the Tater Tots I served on my plate.