Epilogue

Song: Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran

Epilogue: The irony of your existence is a hard slap in the face

"They say you don't marry the person you love, you marry the person you can't live without. That pretty much sums up how these two feel about each other."

My phone chimed. I'm outside. I looked at it and immediately stood up. I looked around my table at the eyes that followed me.

"I'll be right back."

"Can't you wait for your husband to finish his toast before you go to the bathroom?" Zahra asked with raised brows.

I rolled my eyes at her, "I said I'll be right back. Plus, I'm after him. This won't take long."

I started out the reception room, down the corridor and out the door as the breeze of this beautiful day hit me. I looked around until something black among the green caught my eye.

I smiled as I crossed my arms and looked up at the sky. "You always had a thing for shadows whether day or night."

"And you always had a thing for looking beautiful."

I turned towards where he had emerged from behind the huge plant. "Hello Jayden."

He came and hugged me, "Hi Charvi."

"How are the kids?" I asked him.

"Wait until I get some."

I laughed at his facial expression and choice of words. At the age of 31, Jayden still had no plans to get married and have children. But hey, he still had a long life ahead of him. He could change his mind.

"Now in all seriousness, how are the kids?" He asked me.

"Maybe you should come inside and ask Zane."

Jay frowned lightly, "You know he-"

I cut him off, "That was a long time ago."

When I first entered college, I met up with Jayden again. Turns out the company his Dad owned was in the same state as the one where Wren, Zane and I went to college. Albeit my family didn't really approve of Jayden, I told them I liked him and they should respect my decision. For Zane, it was a bit harder than that. Especially when once, Jayden tried to kiss me. He apologized right after and said it was an all in the moment thing and I forgave him. Zane found out and was very pissed at him. They got into a fight and after that Jayden didn't want to come between Zane and I. I told him everything was okay, but he won't listen.

He scrunched his face up at the memory, and then sat down on the step. He was dressed in a tuxedo. I couldn't sit beside him because my dress didn't give me permission for that.

"You were planning to come to the wedding, weren't you?"

"Yeah. Well I changed my mind."

"Then unchange it. You know I don't like keeping secrets from my friends. I don't like keeping secrets from Zane."

He looked up at me. "Then just don't be my friend anymore."

"God Jay! I don't want to choose. Don't do that."

Just then my phone chimed, I looked at it. 

Zahra: Your husband is rounding up. Get in here.

I turned to Jayden, "I'd really like to see you inside."

And I walked back into the reception room just in time to hear Zane's last words. His eyes were on me as I entered, but I just smiled at him.