Chapter Thirteen: The brain sublimation only occurs to those who are ignorant

Song: Cruisin' for a Bruisin' by Ross Lynch, John DeLuca and Grace Phipps from the movie; Teen Beach Movie 

Chapter Thirteen: The brain sublimation only occurs to those who are ignorant

We walked into the warzone prepared. Kind of.

Mrs. Brooks and Mrs. Brooks were doing their own thing in different pots when we entered.

I cleared my throat announcing my presence.

"Mrs." I gestured to Aaron's mum.

I had the urge to call her Lady Tremaine.

You're not Cinderella.

Pity. No Prince Charming and escaping this for me. Pity for more the latter than the former though.

"Mrs. Nicholas Brooks."

She's going by my father's first name?

Well, what did you expect? That's usually how marriages work. Now your mother is Mrs. Brenda Brooks.

"It's so nice to meet you Mrs. Nicholas Brooks." I forced out with a smile.

Your acting's getting better.

I know right.

"It's so nice to meet you too Nova. And Nora, we've already met. You seemed like it came as a shock to you, opening the door to see your father you haven't seen in a while. My deepest condolences."

Cut the formalities. Condolences? Did someone die?

Someone doesn't have to die before you can sympathize.

Oh.

"Of course." Reveka replied.

I feel tension in the air. It's making me choke. It couldn't be accidental.

Do you think now is the best time to sing your altered version of a song?

Yes.

I'm such an idiot.

"Oh hi mum." I went to hug her.

"Hello sweetie. Why were you out so late?"

"I was with Zahra."

"Oh. How's her mum doing? Last I heard you said you went to see her because her mum was sick."

Oh crap. 

You lied about that too, so what's the problem?

"She's all better now. It was probably just a cold."

"Oh. That's great then."

"Is dinner ready?"

"It's supposed to be, but Mrs. Nicholas Brooks here," She gestured to the woman with a smile that I read as 'She's driving me crazy'. "Said I was doing it all wrong and started to make her own changes to it. Then she ordered, I mean advised me to make another edible meal with my time."

"She did, did she?"

"That's my mum for ya." Anastasia walked into the kitchen with a proud smile and side-hugged her mother.

"I would be proud too if my mother walked into her husband's ex-wife's house and started ordering her around. Right Reveka?"

She smiled mischievously. "Of course. I mean how would I not? I would give so many astounding commendations just to that simple action."

"That's so sweet of you Reveka. Don't you think so Mrs. Nicholas Brooks?" I asked, my tone dripping with venom.

"Yes darling. So sweet." She said with a clearly forced smile.