Chapter Sixty-seven: A wise woman once said that sarcasm is an art

Song: Happier by Bastille and Marshmellow

Chapter Sixty-seven: A wise woman once said that sarcasm is an art

"Why is it that I can sense your presence?"

I turned around to look at him. It was Tuesday morning and I was heading over to Zane's house to meet him when I noticed Jayden, of course, at the front of my house.

He smirked. "I guess it's our connection."

I rolled my eyes. "Long time no see. Did my boyfriend scare you off?"

"Yes actually. He's quite frightening." 

I laughed at him, "Scaredy-cat."

He rolled his eyes at me.

"So if Zane wasn't the one to scare you off, why have you been AWOL?"

He scratched the back of his neck. "I thought it'd be best if I stay away from you."

I creased my brows. "Why?"

"For your safety. Because of my brother."

"Oh. So what changed?"

He creased his brows in thought and amusement. "My brother. He's happy. And he said he's forgotten about you."

My heart lifted and I smiled so hard my lips felt like they tore. I know we haven't mentioned Jaxon in the last weeks and we were trying to ignore the situation, but the threat still hung in the air. I was scared, but I tried my hardest not to show it to anyone. But now that I heard he was no longer interested in me made me feel a whole lot better and safer. I hadn't felt like this in a while. It felt great. "Do you mean that?"

"That's what he said. He seemed really happy this morning. We hadn't been talking for weeks, but this morning he called me to come to his house and then he apologized."

The look on his face made me ask, "What's wrong?"

"He never apologizes to me. And I mean never."

"Maybe his guilt was eating at him so he decided to apologize to you."

He didn't seem convinced. "Why this morning? Did something happen today or yesterday?"

I shook my head. I didn't even need to think about that. "I haven't seen or talked to your brother for weeks."

"Are you sure?"

"I think I'd be. Maybe he's found another girl he actually likes. Now you don't have to feel the need to be around me."

"I am not just around you to protect you from my brother. I actually like you."

"Aww. I'm flattered. So what's going to happen to his next target? He probably got tired that I was never alone in the night or in a private place like Tate's."

"I don't think my brother just moved to someone else."

"Then what do you think is going on?"

"I don't know."

"Then just let it be. Just be happy that he's happy. Isn't that what you wanted?"

"It is, but it feels so unreal."

I put a hand on his shoulder. "Just let it be."

He nodded after thinking it through.

"I'm a free citizen!" I yelled.

He barked a laugh. "Are you insane? It's still early!"

"No it's not. It's about 10 am."

"Yeah. Early."