Chapter Fifty: Celestial sister-in-law

Song: Hero by Sterling Knight from the movie; Starstruck

Chapter Fifty: Celestial sister-in-law

I spotted him by a glass of eyeballs and walked up to him. 

I raised one of the eyeballs and held it out to him. "Want one? I heard they're really chewy?"

He took it and dropped it back. "Where have you been?" 

Well, someone's in a mood.

"Where have you been?"

"I asked you first."

I shrugged. "I asked you second, so what?"

He sighed. "Why are you being so difficult?"

"I'm not."

"I was with Wren."

My eyebrows creased. "No. I was with Wren. It's okay if you were with Serena. I get it. She's your celestial sister and I know that-"

He cut me off. "What are you going on about?"

"I left because you were with Serena. I don't see the problem. I gave you two time to catch up."

"I didn't say that was the problem."

He was cut off by the bunny that hopped in between us and grabbed the bowl of eyeballs. I smiled at him. "I heard it's very chewy." He just nodded and continued off.

"Can we talk somewhere private?"

Before I could reply, he dragged me with him all the way upstairs and into an empty room.

"Why are you being so ominous?"

"I'm not. It's just that-"

"What?" I urged him to go on.

"It's Wren."

"What about Wren?"

"Well, right now he's mad drunk and he never drinks."

What's the big deal? I shrugged. "Well, maybe someone spiked his drink."

"No. No one spiked his drink. I think he drank willingly."

"Why?"

"Because of you."

"Me? What did I do?"

"More like Avery. He kept rambling on and on about the loss of the love of his life. Cherry, you have to put an end to this."

Put an end to it?

It seemed he could read my mind. "You have to tell him the truth."

I looked down. "I can't."

"What do you mean you can't, Cherry? You're playing with his feelings. He's in love with a girl that doesn't exist!" He practically yelled at me.

"Why are you so angry?"

He huffed. "Because I am watching my best friend wallow in sadness over a girl I'm dating and I am not doing anything to stop it. I can't tell him you're Avery because I love you and I respect your decisions, Cherry, but you have to tell him."

He's right.

I know that, and I know I'm being selfish, but-

"He'll hate me." I mumbled as I sat on the bed. "He's going to hate me for playing with his feelings when I didn't even mean to."

Zane sat next to me and put his arm around my shoulder. I leaned into him. "He'll understand."

"Will he? Cos I'm pretty sure I hate myself."