Chapter Twenty-three: I'm like the Grinch that stole Christmas

Song: I Feel Pretty/Unpretty by Dianna Agron and Lea Michele from the series; Glee

Chapter Twenty-three: I'm like the Grinch that stole Christmas

"Apply cold to the injured area off-and-on the first two days. Cold helps reduce pain and swelling. After two days, apply heat, for example, tub soaks or warm wet washcloths, to help the bruise heal more quickly."

I had done all the scans because Zane refused to listen to me. The X-ray took about 15 minutes. The MRI scan, which I found out later on stood for Magnetic Resonance Imaging, took about an hour or a little less. And the CT, Computed Tomography scan took around 20 to 30 minutes. By the time I was done, I had hit the bed straight.

Apparently all I had was a few bruised ribs. Probably because of the kicking. The unconsciousness was just me fainting from sheer exhaustion. The price I had to pay for struggling.

I expected the doctors to ask about my parents, but they didn't, gratefully. I'm so glad that Zane didn't end up in the clinic my mum worked for. It must be luck trying to make me owe it.

Now it was the next morning, around 10am and we were standing at the entrance of my room. The doctor was setting some things straight.

I guess I'm missing school today, then. I don't even have an excuse. I'll just tell them I fell down the stairs. Yes, that'll work.

Must have been a lot of stairs.

Exactly. Like the one in Zane's house.

"It usually takes about 3 to 6 weeks, but since yours was mild, it should take about 3 weeks. You can still go to school, and you may need a slip to get away from strenuous activities."

I waved a dismissive hand. "No need for that. I dropped all of them a while back."

"Good. Because there would be pain at the site of damage. You may also have trouble breathing at times. The area of damage will be discoloured. Probably purple-ish. When you want to sleep, wrap it in a thin towel first. If possible, try to sleep in a more upright position for the first few nights."

I groaned at the stress I was going through for that dick who wasn't even going to pay for what he did. I told the doctor I fell down the stairs. If I had told them about a potential kidnapper, they would have gone undercover to follow me and I don't want them finding out what I do behind the scenes.

"You would need to apply an ice pack wrapped in a cloth to help reduce inflammation. I'm sending you off with a slip of over-the-counter pain relievers and anti-inflammatory medications. You can purchase it at the nearby pharmacy."

I groaned again. I hate medications.

"You are currently wearing a rib wrap. The light compression this bruised rib wrap applies improves blood flow to your tender chest and rib cage, which is beneficial for reducing swelling and promoting healing."

I nodded.

"You can purchase a rib injury binder belt protector wrap for your bruised chest support with abdominal muscle pain treatment. It works better than the rib wrap we provided. You can take it off in the shower, but you must wear it every day until the pain has subsided."

He turned to Zane who had slept on the couch all night. "Make sure she does all this. And that she rests, a lot."

"I will doc."

The doctor nodded before turning to leave. "You are dismissed. Take care."

Zane and I walked out towards the parking lot in silence which ended once we entered the car.