《42》Small City.

The last two weeks were really stressful at the bank. With Christmas fast approaching, people needed to send and withdraw money. Network was slow thereby making us receive many complaints and threats from customers.

There was a man that came to withdraw a whole one million naira in cash. Everyone talked about him when he left, which left me wondering why people would never mind their business.

What does he even want to do with all that cash? I wondered out loud.

Wait, what's my business?

The more people were coming into the bank for transactions, the more complaints we received and the later we closed. My team and I were really overwhelmed and we were just three.

Those stacks of papers Dorcas brought to me the other day. I threw them all into the dustbin without looking at any of them. I could not kill myself, if any of those people needed my services, they would come to the bank to fill another form. That is if they are all alive. I had a lot on my table already.

"Did you resolve those issues?" Dorcas suddenly asked.

"What issues?" I feigned ignorance.

"The complaints on those stacks of papers I brought to you the other day." She sneered.

"Oh! Nope, I threw them away."

"You did what? You're going to be in a lot of trouble. In fact, you should be fired. Mrs. Tamara asked you to do something and you threw it out." She pursed her lips and frowned.

I tried to be as cool as a cucumber but she was getting on my damn nerves. "Please get out of my sight. I've tolerated enough of your nonsense."

"I would leave and go straight to Mrs. Tamara's office. Hopefully she will do the needful and give me my rightful position back."

"Wait, before you go to report me. Can I ask you something?"

"What?" She stopped in her tracks. Oh, she was interested.

"How old are you?" She hissed and stomped off while I laughed.

Let's see who would frustrate who. I was still laughing to myself when a customer came to my table.

"Good afternoon ma." I straightened my face and looked at her.

"Good afternoon." She replied and smiled.

"Please have your seat."

"Thank you." She sat down.

"You're welcome. How can I be of help?"

"I've been trying to make a transfer to someone in the last two days, all to no avail."

"Via?"

"Sorry?"

I mentally scoffed. "By what means? What method were you trying to use?" I explained further.

"I tried both USSD code and the mobile app."

"Sorry for the inconveniences, the USSD code isn't working for now, our IT team is currently working on it and–" My words were cut short by the whiff of a cologne in the air. That particular scent, that ambrosial scent filled the air. I wasn't a scent expert but I remember that scent anytime and any day.

I looked up and saw Mr. Perfect stranger. My heart skipped a beat and my mouth dropped wide open. He was dressed in a vintage shirt on black trousers. He had one hand in his pocket and the other hand was holding his phone against his ear as he walked. I was so surprised, I never thought or imagined I could ever find him.