Chapter 11: Different

I was surprised to see my dad at the house when I got home. He hadn't been around much since we first got here. He was getting used to the commute to the base in Annapolis, and the people he had to work with. It had been nearly two months since we arrived, but it always took him this long to figure out how to manage work and home. There had been several nights when I ate alone because he stayed late. I was used to it. With him in the house, it almost seems crowded.

        He had been let out of work for a long weekend because of all the extra work that he's done these last few weeks. He was excited to finally be able to sit down and watch a football game or two. He loved college football more than any other sport.

        We never had homemade food unless I was around long enough to make them. Tonight we wanted to cook on the grill, and sit down and catch up. I felt absolutely terrible when he said that. I bit my tongue and smiled at him when he said that. He was thawing the steak out in a bag in hot water in the sink. It was getting closer and closer to Kara and the guys' arrived, and I still hadn't even asked.

        "Uh, dad?" I twirled my finger around my hair while speaking. I kept my eyes glued to the counter while I spoke. I really did feel awful.

        "Yeah sweetie?" he said while pulling the steak out from the sink. He mixed around the marinade inside it and glanced over towards me.

        "Uh, I really want to have dinner with you, but my friends are picking me up to go to their show down town. They are really good and tonight is a big night for them.." he cut me off before I could finish my sentance.

        "That's fine, Stella. I was actually wondering if you were getting along with the kids at your school. We can do this tomorrow night, but who are these friends?" He grinned lightly at me while putting the meat in the fridge. He wiped his hands on a towel and pulled a takeout menu from a drawer. I let out a breath; wow, that was easier than I thought it'd be.

        "Uh, well, there is Kara, Jack, Rian, Zack and Alex," I felt my own voice falter and say Alex's in a different tone, more tense and annoyed. Apparently my dad noticed the change. He raised his eyebrows while looking at the menus in his hands.

        "Almost all boys, that's interesting. You don't sound too happy about this Alex kid," He pulled out his Blackberry and began to type in the number to the pizza place that he had in his hand. He looked back at me, waiting for a response. I opened my mouth, and shut it once again.

        "It's sort of a long story, we get along sometimes," I shrugged while he began ordering his dinner. I slipped into the living room as he spoke, knowing he would order me a chicken finger meal. He asked many questions, but I could tell he really wasn't as interested as he tried to act. If I were him, I wouldn't want to hear about my daughter's social life either, especially a teenage daughter.

        I sat down on the couch and began to flick through the channels, and before I knew what was happening, my eyes were slowly drooping shut. I fought for them to stay open, but I lost miserably.

        I jumped when I heard the doorbell ring; I nearly fell out of my seat but slowly stood and rubbed my eyes tiredly. My dad beat me to the door, and while I walked behind him, I could feel the night air find its way into the house.

        "You must be one of Stella's friends," my dad started with a seemingly nice voice. I was surprised, when he met new people he normally sounded strict, almost mean. He greeted whoever it was nicely. I was stretching with my eyes closed when the person behind the door introduced himself.

        "And you must be her dad, I'm Alex," I felt my eyes shoot open and I looked over my dad's shoulder to see him standing there, alone. I moved underneath their handshake and looked out to the driveway.