Chapter 13: Forget

I found myself spending the next few days of vacation with Kara and the guys. I did my absolute best to ignore Alex. Ever since the night of the show, he has been acting so much more disgusting towards other girls than he did before. I was thinking that maybe after that moment that we had that we could be decent friends and that we'd move past the stage of being annoyed with each other like we were before.

        Every single day that we've been together though, Alex had an even more annoying fan or slut that he brought with us. We went to see a movie Monday night, and he brought one of the fans he met at the last show with us and nearly had sex with her four seats away. Tuesday we went to the music store, and he brought some slut from school and wouldn't stop kissing her. Wednesday was the best day of them all, because he brought Jessica Kinnon with us when we went downtown to go shopping.

        That entire day their lips were on each other's, and that entire day I wanted both of them dead and six feet under the ground. I nearly punched Jessica in the face when she'd give me a fake smile or laugh about something stupid. She was the most obnoxious girl in the entire world and why Alex was with her was beyond me.

        Actually, I knew why Alex was with her. It was because he was a scum bag. I couldn't believe he tried to pull that crap over my eyes when we were at the House of Blues, and make me feel bad for him. I really couldn't believe it.

        Now it was Tuesday night, and Jack's parents were out of town, and I was at my first high school party. I could already tell you it was going to be my last. I wasn't a drinker; I'd never had so much as two sips of alcohol in my entire life. My new friends chugged it down like little kids drinking soda. Kara even drank, which couldn't have surprised me more. She didn't seem like the type, but she was sitting in the living room on Rian's lap while they talked to some of their friends that I didn't know.

        I busted my butt to go to this party, so that Alex wouldn't give me shit for not showing up. I was sick of hearing his voice, so the less of it I heard the better I felt. I lied to my dad for the first time in my life, saying I was sleeping over at Kara's. I could have done this at home where I felt much more comfortable.

        Jack came and sat with me more than once, but was continuously distracted by people who were touching his parents things or were about to puke on the floor. The house was packed, and I was never one to enjoy small spaces.

        I was at the counter in the kitchen, on one of the bar stools looking at the fridge as everyone passed by with drinks in their hands. I was zoning out, and wouldn't be surprised if I passed out like this.

        "What's up, Harrison?" Alex's voice entered my head. I glanced to my left to see him sitting on the othe rbar stool. I felt like my body became stiff with annoyance. Now he was going to talk to me after hanging out with all those sluts all week?

        "I'm surprised you're not smashed," I raised my eyebrows at him and sipped my coke. He had a bottle of Corona in his hand. I could tell he wasn't drunk, just hanging out.

        "Not in the mood," He shrugged, taking a sip of his drink while leaning on the table. He pushed his forearm against mine, and I rolled my eyes, focusing on my cup. "What's wrong with you?"

        "This isn't my thing," I chuckled darkly. I really couldn't believe he didn't know why I was mad. At the same time, there was no reason for me to be. I wasn't dating Alex; he could sleep with whoever he wants to. I can't control what he does. He doesn't belong to me.

        Why would Ie ven think about this in the first place was ridiculous to me. I didn't want Alex and me to be in a relationship, or even have a friendship half the time. I think what bugged me the most was that he chose to hang out with Jessica Kinnon, of all people, when he knows for a fact that she wants me dead.

        "Well, that's obvious," he grinned. He leaned over the counter to the sink that was filled with ice and booze. He pulled out an apple Smirnoff and set it down in front of me. "Have you ever had a drink like this before?" he asked, curiously. I shook my head, and pushed the bottle back towards him. The sweat from the bottle stuck to my fingers.

        "Nope," I said, very matter-of-factly. He nodded, accepting the idea.

        "That's good for you," He said while sliding the bottle back and forth between his hands. "You don't have to drink to have fun," he said before smirking. "But that also means your idea of fun, sucks."

        I gawked at him, eyebrows pulled together in confusion. "Did you just compliment me and insult me all at once?" I asked. He chuckled and shrugged his shoulders.

        "Sory of, I mean, I really can't believe you've never had a drink before, though. It's impressive, but a little sad at the tame time." He smiled at me while sliding out of his seat and walking away.

        I felt the frustration in my head bubbling already. I grabbed the bottle off the counter and stormed after him. I dodged people as I followed, and he walked towards the back yard. Jack had a large wooden deck that led into the grass. It was about ten feet off the ground, so Alex leaned against the railing with his drink in his grip once again, looking over the yard. I found myself standing next to him, gripping the bottle in my hand.

        "How is it sad that I don't need to be drunk to have a good time?" I asked him, he leaned over, looking at the ground below him.

        "It's sad that you've never had the opportunity to feel numb," he looked at me with a sly smile, "You don't feel anything, physical or emotional. Everything is extremely happy, and you don't have to worry about a thing. All you have to do is breathe.

        I thought about it for a moment, fingers sliding on the glass. He glanced at me with a grin, pulling the botle out of my hands and cracking open the cap on the side of the railing. He handed it over to me and shrugged.

        "Why do you like to feel numb?" I asked quietly, looking at my feet while I leaned my elbow on the railing, looking at him. He looked at me from the corner of my eye, a glint of regret in them.

        "Because, everyone does at some point in their lives; they just want to forget everything and feel nothing," he said in a low, husky tone. He was speaking into my ear, so only I could hear. I looked at him, his nose close to mine. I backed away and put the bottle to my lips. The thin, bubbly liquid tasted like jolly rancher candy: sickly sweet and deliciously cold.

        When I pulled the bottle from my mouth, Alex was chuckling lightly and shaking his head. "I'm afraid I've turned you to the dark side, Stella Harrison."

        "Oh shut up," I let out a deep breath, before taking another sip of my drink. I was thinking about everything he was saying. I just wanted to feel nothing, not thinking about my mother, or father, or my many houses, or lost friends, or lonely nights. I just wanted to forget everything.

        "Well, now that this is settled, let's go have some real fun," he wiggled his eyebrows at me. I laughed lightly while he grabbed my hand and pulled me back into the house. I couldn't help the tingling in my fingers when he pulled me along. I was convinced it was the alcohol giving me the feeling. I allowed him to pul me along, and teach me how to forget.