Chapter 34: Pool

My dad still hadn't been home since yesterday, and probably had no idea of all the problems I'd dealt with in the last twenty-four hours. He most likely assumed I hung out with Adam, went to the guy's practice, and did the normal things.

        God, did I need someone to talk to that wasn't involved in this crap. I needed my dad to come home.

        The sun was almost set, it was nearly seven. The air was stil warm, in the high sixtries. I sat outside on the edge of the pool that was now clean and vacuumed. My feet were in it hflway up my calves. The water was warmer than the air, my dad kept setting it to eighty so he could swim when he came home late. I didn't mind, it felt nice.

        The pool lights came on as the sun disappeared, a rainbow of colors filtering through the water. There was a light on in the deep end, causing the pool to look red, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. It continued in a cycle, never ending.

        It was still too cold for the bugs to be out, so I could sit comfortably outside in a dark t-shirt and running shorts, able to think by myself. I was tired to say the least, and I sort of just wanted to skip ahead a week, to see if any of this worked out, if anything had changed. I wanted some clarity for my actions today. I wanted to know if they affected the future.

        I heard the squeak of the fence gate and jumped. I glanced over to see a boy in a white v-neck, skinny jeans and sandals wander his way into my backyard. I focused on the water again, watching the colors change. I heard the shuffling of feet across the grass, and feet scuffing against the stone as his body sat next to mine. His hair was frazzled, but only like it normally was. He rolled up his pant legs and took off his shoes before sticking his feet in next to mine. It caused a ripple along the whole length of the pool.

        "I talked to Kara earlier," he said casually after a moment of silence. I nodded my head once, eyes not leaving the rainbow in front of me. He waited, and then continued, "So, it's over?"

        "Yup," I said, my 'p' popping as I said it. I was zoning, and tired. I didn't know what to do but sleep. Alex's presence wasn't even enough to keep me wired; I was emotionally drained.

        We sat in complete silence, listening to the animals that were emerging from their sleep to move around in the night. It was calming to the point where when Alex stood up, I realized I was almost asleep sitting down.

        "Come on," Alex offered me his hand, and I took it without thinking as I lifted my feet out the water. He pulled me up, face to his neck, when his arms curled around my waist and plunged into the four feet of water in front of us. I barely got the scream out of my throat before we both hit the water.

        For a moment, I almost forgot where I was as I dug towards the surface, gasping for air. I stood up quickly, arms wrapping around myself shivering. Alex came up next to me a moment later with an accomplished grin on his cheeks. He flipped his hair back to a norma positon while letting out a yelp of excitement.

        "Yo -- you're a hu--huge jer-jerk Al-l-lex G-gaska-arth," I stuttered, teeth chattering obnoxiously. I leaned my back against the wall of the low end, which only reached a few inches past my belly button.

        I was really trying not to shake so badly, but all Alex did was laugh lightly as he stripped himself of his already see-through shirt. I couldn't help but watch his movements, and trail down his small but built frame. He does nothing and looks absolutely incredible.

        "Oh come on, El, it's not that bad," he said while coining a new nickname. El? That was something I'd never heard before. I sort of liked it. He threw his soaked shirt on the side of the pool next to our phones. The jerk must have realized I didn't have my phone in my pocket.