Chapter 56: Done

"Sorry about Adam," Lauren apologized for the hundredth time. Once we had gotten into the car, she felt terrible. She keeps saying that she's sorry Adam ruined my time, and that he was being a jerk. She explained that she didn't know he was going to be there and if she knew she wouldn't have asked me. She didn't want there to be such an awkward situation.

         Sometimes that girl is too sweet for her own good.

        "Really, Lauren, don't feel bad. I feel bad for making you bring me home," I admitted as I got out of the car, holding onto the door while she spoke.

        "I can always go back if I want," she shrugged. I nodded, yawning and looking at my phone, 11:42. I'm sure my dad was fast asleep; I'd just tell him that I came home early in the morning. I waved to Lauren and said goodbe and shut the door.

        I walked around to the back and unlocked my pool house. I slid in the door and flipped on the lights. I sighed while setting my bag onto the couch and stripping myself of my jacket. I ran my fingers through my hair while looking for something to change into.

        I found a pair of boxers and a tank top at the end of my bed, and pushed my arms and legs through them after ridding myself of my jeans and shirt. I sighed in relief flipping on the light to my bathroom and brushing my teeth. I ran my brush through my hair and threw it into a ponytail.

        I was going though my usual routine slowly, trying to prolong the wait for the phone call I had to make to Alex. He seemed livid when he hung up, he didn't even say goodbye. I didn't even know if I wanted to hear what he had to say about it.

        I sighed, pulling my phone off my bed and dialing Alex's number. I hit the green button and put it up to my ear, free arm crossed over my stomach. There wasn't even a second ring before he answered.

        "Hey," he muttered lowly, and I bit the inside of my cheek. I sighed, sitting on the edge of my bed.

        "Hi," I said softly, and he let out a breath.

        "How was your conversation with Adam?" His tone was biting and I felt a pang in my stomach. I hated it when he wasn't happy, especially when he wasn't happy with me.

        "It didn't last long," I tried to shrug it off. "He's an asshole."

        "Why didn't you tell me that you were with him earlier this week?" He almost seemed hurt, but the anger in his voice covered it. I shook my head, like he could actually see what I was doing.

        "I wasn't hanging out with him, Alex."       

        "Well, what were you doing then?"

        "I was at the bach with Lauren, and he was there," I confessed in one breath, "Why is it such a big deal?"

        "It's not a big deal," he tried to be indifferent to what he was saying before. I laughed sarcastically, playing with the hem of my comforter. I wished I was talking to him in person.

        "Well, apparently it's a big deal if we have to talk about it now."

        "I can't ask you why you are anging around your ex-boyfriend? I think I have some sort of right at this point, don't you think?" he sho tback, and my blood boiled.

        "I wasn't hanging out with him, Alex," I groaned loudly, fingers running over my eyes, frustrated. "And when was I supposed to tell you about it? The whole ten seconds we've spoken since I saw him? Sorry that my last concern during your vague and weekly phoen call isn't who I happened to see at the beach one afternoon."