Chapter 29: Alex

The rest of the week seemed to go by slowly. Alex didn't show up to music class almost every day. Mr. Moore pulled Jack and I aside to see what was wrong, and why he wasn't in class. We didn't say anything, just telling him we didn't know. As much as I wanted to keep Alex from getting in trouble, that story wasn't mine or Jack's to tell.

        Friday afternoon I found myself skipping out on hanging out with the guys, Kara and Lauren. They cancelled practice because Alex didn't even show up to school that day. They figured he just needed more time to himself and cancelled the gigs that they had lined up for that weekend. Even if Alex wanted to play, everyone knew he couldn't; not with the songs he has to sing. Not with "Lullabies" on their set list.

        So, I followed Adam to his house, where his family was waiting for him. My dad had been so busy the last few weeks, and I was starting to miss him more than I thought possible. I spent so much time with my friends and with Adam, there was barely any time for him. I needed to fix that soon. There were a lot of things I needed to fix, and it was building on my shoulders.

        I pulled in behind Adam. His house was cute, egg shell white, and perfect for his mom. The shutters were navy blue, and the front door was beautiful oak. It was the definition of a family house, with the picket fence and all.

        I turned off my car and hopped out of the front seat. I tucked my keys in my pocket while walking towards Adam. The guilt was in my chest every time he smiled at me, touched my arm, or put his lips on mine. It drove me crazy, and all I wanted to do was forget the weekend where I ruined everything.

        Adam took my hand, pulling me up the steps and through the front door. His mother greeted us, while he grabbed two waters out of the fridge. She asked about school, and I answered. She was a sweet woman with light brown hair, matching Adam's. They looked a lot alike, and I couldn't deny thow flawless the house was. She was a little fifties housewife, and always looked gorgeous.

        "We'll have to plan a day where we cook on the grill and have you and you father over!" she grinned, her plump lips smiling at me. I nodded; the knot was closing my throat.

        "That'd be awesome, definitely let me know!"

        I felt myself sigh when Adam dragged me up the stairs to his room. His mother was too innocent to think we were doing anything but hanging out up here. I knew Adam wasanxious to be alone. For the last wek, it seems like that's all he wanted to do. The only way he was expressing any emotion at this point was physically, and that was something I couldn't get myself to do. I still couldn't forgive myself. I trailed behind him up the stairs, and smiled at his sister weakly from her rooom. She waved and Adam drew me through his door before closing it. I didn't have time to turn around before he dropped the waters on the floor and put his hands on my waist.

        "Finally," He muttered into my neck from behind me. His breath was warm on the side of my throat, and I felt my stomach curl at the idea of him touching me this way. I wanted to forget, I wanted to just be with Adam so badly that it physically hurt.

        I tried to ignore my brain, to shut it off for a few moments while I tried to get lost with Adam. I wanted things to feel the same as they did with Alex; I wanted to feel that rush, that heat, that lust.

        His lips touched my neck once and then I was angry. I was frustrated, and annoyed. Why couldn't this be the same with Adam? What was so different between Alex and Adam that I could feel that emotion now? Why could I be perfectly happy with Adam?

        I turned and pulled his mouth to mine fiercely. Our tongues twisted together before he gave up, allowing me dominance. I traveled my tongue over his, wanting a response from him that would make me feel what I did before, to force that emotion on both of us.