Chapter 32: Broke (Stella's POV)

Some people might have thought it was awkward to be sitting in a room for hours with a boy you weren't dating, that you fought constantly with, told off more than once, hated, lusted after, kissed, frustrated over, was concerned with, and had more confusing feelings for than was humanly possible.

        For Alex and me, it seemed natural, and so completely normal that there was nothing else to it.

        We were both thinking, but what he was thinking about had to be much different then what I was thinking, I assumed anyway. I was thinking about how much trouble I'm in at this point. How officially screwed I am and how I really did wish things were different. I don't know if Alex will like me tomorrow, next week, or even in the next ten minutes. He changes his mind about everythng, and that terrifies the shit out of me.       

        For the first time, someone else was in control.

        I knew I had to go; I had to see my dad, and talk to Adam, even if it was what I dreaded nore than anything. I couldn't leave things unsaid. Maybe he'd sweep me off my feet completely, change my mind about all of this. Maybe he would save me from a guy that had a very high shot of shattering me on the ground.

        I looked up over my shoulder at Alex, and he was staring at the ceiling. His fingers felt so nice through my hair, so comforting to me. I positioned myself on my elbow and smiled at him weakly. He grinned, mind still so unsure.

        "I need to go," I could barely find my voice, but he heard me in the quiet of the room.

        I leaned up from his chest and kneeled on the bed, stretching. He stumbled to his feet, holding his head. I chuckled to myself while pointing to his bed side table where I'd left two large, blue pills with the Advil label printed on them. He let out a sigh and stood swallowed the pills without water. I shook my head and stood slowly, slipping my jacket over my shoulders and zipping it. I ran my fingers through my hair while pulling my shoes on. Alex stood awkwardly undoing the bandages from the night before.

        I pulled my phone out of my pocket, reading 8:50 across the screen. Instantly, my screen filled with missed calls, and texts from Dadm. There had to be at least 15 of each at this point, my phone going off like crazy. I must have been out of servce because I was just getting all of the messages now. Instead of reading them, I silenced my phone, hoping to ignore the weight it caused in my pocket.

        Alex opened the door, holding it open with his good hand while I slid underneath him. There were no words exchanged between us. This was the first time we had nothing to argue about.

        I pulled open the front door, holding onto the handle, half in and half out. Like hell was I going to make the first move at this point. This was so awkward that my entire face felt like it was on fire. What the hell was he thinking?

        I self-consciously pulled at the zipper of my jacket, standing there. I was convinced that he wasn't going to say anything. He was just going to let me leave and hope to God that I forgot everything that happened last night. Why would he waste his time on someone like me, anyway?

        As my brain was rattling on with all of these ideas, he got up the courage and took three steps closer to fill the gap between us. His shadow cast over me, and I looked up slightly to see him stuff his hand into the pocket of his sweatshirt. Te other one ran through the side of my hair, much like he did last night as he pressed his lips to my forehead. I closed my eyes, as did his, and my hand ran over his. His lips remained on my skin for a long moment, before pulling away and smiling softly. His hand rested on my head still, holding out faces close.