Chapter 43: Last Time

I pulled up to the 7/11 with Kara riding shotgun. She was humming along with the song playing on the radio. It was somewhat warm out tonight, good enough for just a sweatshirt. I rolled up my windows; face flushed from the cool air against my skin during the ride.

        Alex and Rian got out of Rian's car and then Jack, Lauren and Zack stepped out of Zack's SUV. They opened the back of Rian's car, handing out the clubs. Alex passed them out to the appropriate persons. I stepped up to grab mine, Alex turned towards me, both hands on either end of the stick. I took my grip, pulling away when he yanked me back, lips colliding with his. I chuckled as both of our hands awkwardly held the club.

        "Smooth," I whispered while pulling away. He shrugged once, pulling the bucket of golf balls from the trunk and handing them to Jack who groaned about having to carry them the ten feet to the building. I joked with him, calling him a baby while he ruffled my hair.

        Lauren stood awkwardly next to Zack, who was grinning at her, making her anticipate what would happen. He presented her with a club the same way he had with me. I smiled; I wasn't the newcomer anymore. I'm officially one of them, not the awkward new girl. It made my heart feel secure in my chest, like I wasn't going anywhere.

        The 7/11 near our houses was closed early on Thursday nights for some reason, so when the sun was setting was a perfect time to golf. This was normally the way we'd do it, but with the warm spring air, you could taste summer on your lips.

        I had on a white sweatshirt with UM on the front in light blue letters. It was an early graduation present from my dad, and he was so excited to give it to me last week that he did. He was sort of cute to watch, because he loved that I wanted to go to college. He was happy that I knew what I wanted to pursue, and I'd be happy doing it.

        I had my hair pulled into a side braid and as Jack continued to rub my head, he made it frizzy. We walked towards the dumpsters, pulling our feet on top of it. Alex went up first, helping Jack get the bucket. Jack jumped up as well, and they made it look so easy. Zack waitied behind as Rian helped Kara scale the building. She liked to do it on her own, but smiled when Rian grabbed under her arms to lift her up.

        I eyed the building, knowing fully well that I hadn't been able to make it up on my own yet. Normally Jack would give me a boost because of how short I was. I threw my club on top and braced myself by looking at the brick in front of me. Today, when I looked up to jump, Alex was smiling down at me.

        "Give me your hands," Alex offered, reaching down towards me. I hooked my arms with his, and like magic, he was pulling me up the building. I planted my feet on the roof, smiling when he let go of my hands. "You make it so easy because you're small and light."

        "You make it so easy," I mimicked him while he grinned, kissing me for a moment before picking up my club and handing it to me. I followed him to the side of the building where Rian and Jack were setting up the balls. Kara grinned, holding her club eagerly.

        I glanced over my shoulder to see Lauren laughing while Zack pulled her up the side of the building with a helping hand. I couldn't help but smile at them, their new relationship was so cute.

        I grabbed my club from Alex's grip, standing ready at my ball. Zack explained what we were doing and she seemed concerned with getting in trouble. I smiled, remembering when I used to think the same thing. With the guys, I felt fearless. It's like nothing can touch me, honestly.

        Jack started during the middle of Zack's explanation, confessing that he wished school would just be over already. I laughed and Zack rolled his eyes and sighed.

        "I guess watching is the best way," he smiled at Lauren, nodding towards the two balls that were set up for them. I glanced out at the orange sky, noticing the cars driving by. I thought about it for a moment unsure of what was bothering me the most.

        "I wish I went to high school here all along," I let out my breath, pulling back and swinging at the ball. It soared into the parking lot and bounced into the bushes. That one would be a bitch to find.

        "I wish the tour was tomorrow," Alex smiled at the idea, driving the ball farther than mine. I felt a pinch in my heart. I ignored the feeling while listening to Rian talk about how he hates teachers who are still assigning work, Kara's mom is pissed at her for everything lately, Zack wished tour meant everyone could go with him, and Lauren wanted these next few weeks to be her best.

        I never realized how Lauren and I were in the same boat. She wasn't going on tour either. She was stuck here when Zack was being touched and talked to by thousands of screaming fans. She would have the same worries as me, unsure if it would last more than thirty seconds, or until the next day. If at some point they change their minds about us, we'd still be holding on.

        After another round of venting, we were talking to each other openly, all swinging for the balls and enjoying the warmth of the sun that was still lingering in the sky.

        "I'm going to miss your sarcasm when we're gone, Stell," Jack laughed as I mocked Alex. I tried to ignore how much that hurt, how much I felt like an outsider, because I wouldn't be with my best friends.

        "Don't remind me," I mumbled, driving another ball into the parking lot. I could see Alex's eyes land on me in my peripherals.

        "You guys are going to the show's that are around here, right?" Kara glanced past Rian and Alex to look at me, then past Zack towards Lauren. I shrugged and nodded, not in the mood to talk about it anymore. I didn't even know if it was a good idea. It would be two goodbyes that I'd have to face, and I didn't know if I could handle that.

        "Yeah," I sighed, hitting another ball at the same time as Zack. They both flew into the parking lot and into the bushes. I had three balls left before I was done. Prom was tomorrow, we graduated next Friday, and this would be our last time golfing together for who knows how long. "When do you guys take off again?"

        "Sunday morning, 9am shap," Rian answered, always having the right time. I sucked in my breath, trying not to get upset.

        I had less than a week left with my best friends and Alex. I hit another ball angirly, going father than any had. Jack hooted at me, calling me muscles. I tried to smile, but failed. I smacked the last two balls, waiting for everyone else to finish. At this point, I just wanted to go home.

        After Lauren hit her last ball, we walked to the edge to climb down again. The sun made the sky a shade of purple pink as the stars began to show. I bit the inside of my lips when Alex's arm came from behind my neck, wrapping around me and kissing my temple. His lips lingered for a moment, and I wished they'd just stay there forever.

        "Come on, Rian will take Kara, I'll go with you," he muttered in my ear. I nodded once, following behind my friends with a blank expression. I hated to admit how much I depended on my best friends, and how much I wished they'd be here for the three months we had off.

        I hated how much I felt like I needed Alex with me. I knew I would have to deal with it, even if it felt like I couldn't breathe without him.