Chapter 17: Jealousy

Lunch was ridiculously quiet the next day, something I wasn't used to. Normally, Alex was talking tos omeone or at least speaking aloud to make me angry. Today, he was dead silent. He forked his pasta across his plate, not eating it. Everyone knew something was wrong when he wasn't eating, his second favorite thing in the world after girls.

        "Dude, what's wrong?" Rian asked whle pulling a notebook out of his binder. He flipped open to a worksheet and began to complete it. I never understood how they could do their homework the day it was due. I'd feel so stressed out about it, I was sort of jealous of the way they didn't care. They didn't let it bug them, and lived how they wanted. If I lived that way, my dad would have my social life in a choke hold.

        "Exhausted man," Alex ran his hands over his face. His eyes did look tired, dark and uneasy. Maybe that was why he was acting weird. Even when I saw him in the hallway earlier, his smile wasn't the same.

        "When I texted you last night you said you were calling in early," Jack laughed while stuffing his lunch into his mouth. Alex shrugged once, but suddenly moments after the gesture, his eyes lit up. He glanced in my direction; eyes lingering on each other's for a moment.

        "I know, Jessica called me after that," he smirked towards Jack who immediately hollered obnoxiously and offered him a high five. He took it willingly and they laughed loudly while exchanging stupid, childish grins.

        Instantly, my fingers curled around my form and I was sure I was going to break it. I felt my ears and cheeks light on fire. He was talking to Jessica again?

        "Dude, what'd she say?" Jack pounded his fist and grinned happily. Why did Jack ave to encourage him when he does that? It's so wrong, and Jessica was absolutely disgusting.

        "She was lonely," he shrugged it off like he was playing it cool. I already knew him enough; I knew that he wasn't playing anything cool. I could have stabbed him in that insatnt, strangled him, shot him, anything. Anything to get tid of the rage I felt about his disgusting phone sex with that tramp.

        I wasn't sure why it bothered me that he was talking to her. Maybe it was because he still knew how she acted towards me, and how she was the biggest bitch. He knew how I felt about her, and he absolutely knew that I'd rather die than have to be anywhere around her. I guess it was just the idea that someone that was in my group of friends was inviting her in because she put out.

        "Classy," I muttered under my breath, eating another French fry thoughtfully. I tried not to cringe at the very idea of Alex on the phone with that whore. The way she was probably flipping her hair, and giggling about the stupidest things. You would have thought Alex was smarter than that.

        Actually, he was stupid enough to go for someone as idiotic as her.

        "I thought you were done with Jessica," Rian asked. I glanced at him, and he didn't seem impressed by Alex's call with the walking STD. I sighed internaly at the very thought; thank God I wasn't the only one completely disgusted by that.

        "She's my type," he grinned, eyes flickering to me briefly.

        "And what's your type?" I finally snapped, biting my tongue after I said it. He raised his eyebrow at me and chuckled lightly before my word vomit came up again, "An easy, stupid, diseased whore?"

        His face fell, but I could still see the smirk behind his eyes, the teasing that I'd seen every single day up until Jack's party. In that moment, I knew the old Alex was back. The same one I've hated since I moved here.

        "Don't be jealous because you're not my type," he challenged with a smile. I rolled my eyes, snorting at the idea. How in the hell would that make me jealous? Alex was talking and sleeping with another girl. Why would that bother me?

        "Sweetie, if I were your type, I wouldn't be sitting at this table," I laughed bitterly, shaking my head while putting a grape in my mouth. My head was burning, I was so heated I wanted to scream.

        "Then why're you getting pissed about a conversation?" Alex threw at me. I laughed loudly; half fake, and half real. Who did Alex think he was?

        "Because you know how we don't get along," I spoke through my teeth, fists so tight that my knuckles were turning white. I couldn't believe him right now. "Why would you do that if you knew?"

        "The problems you have with her aren't my issues."

        "They were because of you in the first place!" I screamed loudly, pointing my finger at him. I ran my fingers through my hair, palms digging my palms into my eyes. How could he be so one-sided all the time?

        I stood up, ignoring Kara and Jack's voices telling Alex to cut the shit, and for me to calm down. People were staring, but I didn't care. I didn't want to be around Alex, I actually wanted to sprint away from him, as far away as my legs could take me.

        "I don't care. I don't know why I'm even arguing with you right now. I'm out," I grumbled while throwing my backpack over my shoulders. I grabbed my tray and walked towards a trash can, knowing everyone's eyes were on me. I didn't want to make a scene, but I couldn't believe him.

        "Hey, Stell," someone touched my shoulder. I whipped my head around to see Adam standing there, slightly concerned. He smiled weakly, hand sliding down my arm towards my elbow. "You okay?"

        "Yeah, I guess, I mean -- no, actually, I'm not," I wrapped my arms around myself. He nodded towards the door with a grin.

        "Come on, I'll go with you," he said encouragingly, arm wrapping around my shoulder caringly. I felt comfortable with Adam walking me towards the door, but I couldn't help but look over my shoulder, with a feeling of satisfaction, when I saw tha Alex was watching the whole thing.