Chapter 51: Zack

"Nice to meet you, Lauren," my dad shook her small hand. She smiled at him kindly, giving him a similar response.        

        I pulled the pitcher of pink lemonade out of the fridge and poured it into two glasses. I almost expected to see Alex standing next to me when I looked back up. It was often when I'd do this after school, it seemed so far away. A week and a half and it was finally starting to sink in.

        Lauren took the cup I poured willingly. I smiled at her feely. I knew my dad told me to invite Lauren over, and Alex got Zack on the phone when I talked to him last to encourage me too, but I just didn't know her well at all; it seemed like a stupid idea now that I thought about it.

        "Well, I need to go to the store and get a few groceries," I raised my eyebrows at my dad as he slid the keys off of the hook by the doorway. Since when does he do the grocery shopping? I'm notmally the one who has to.

        "Alright, see you later," he disappeared out the door, closing it behind him. I rolled my eyes slightly, looking over to Lauren who was examining my kitchen. She seemed just as awkward as I was.

        "Well, this is awkward," I murmured as I put my cup to my lips. Lauren looked towards me, and I made eye contact with her as I took a sip. Instantly, we both broke out into a fit of giggles. I tried to stop the liquid from coming out of my nose, but it shot straight back into the cup. That caused Lauren to laugh even harder, holding onto the side of the island to stop herself from falling over. I leaned over the sink hopelessly.

        After a few minutes of laughing, my stomach stopped cramping; I let out a deep breath. I grabbed the dish rag from the side of the sink and rubbed the fabric over my wet, and now sticky, face. I ran the water, splashing it over my face and nose. After I cleaned up, and dumped my drink, I watched as Lauren wiped her eyes.

        "Nice," I sighed to myself at my appearance. Lauren shook it off with a grin, already learning where the cups were, and grabbed another one. She poured another drink, handing it to me kindly. I smiled back. I had a feeling we'd get along.

        "Hungry?" I asked, and she shrugged. I pulled out a bag of pretzels from one of the drawers, setting them on the island. I walked to the stools, sitting on one comfortably. I nodded, and Lauren followed.

        After she sat, we stuffed our hands into the bag and ate the pretzels. I did the same, nibbling on them casually. It was times like this when I wish Kara was here, to ease the tension. Even after laughing, there wasn't much to talk about.

        "So, what are you majoring in?" Lauren asked suddenly, perking up into her seat.

        I froze, almost forgetting. I shook my head, smiling once again, "Music education, teaching children mostly."

        "That's awesome," she grinned, "minor?"

        "Well, the only other subject I was good at in high school is English, so most likely an English minor, but who knows," I felt funny not talking about this with Alex or Kara. They were the only ones who really asked about it. Adam did, but he never understood the music major part. It just wasn't something you got unless you were really into music. "What about you?"        

        "Major in management, minor in business," she smiled at the last part, something tht we had in common. "Hopefully I'll see you around UM next year."

        "I know, Kara was telling me you were going there. That's awesome, do you kno wwhere your dorm is?"

        "I can't even remember right now, but I'll text you the name when I get home," she smiled, nodding along. I grinned back, chewing on a pretzel. A silence fell over us again, but it was more comfortable this time. She spoke her next sentance quickly, rambling, "Have you talked to the boys?"