Chapter 36: Hope

"I'm never going to remember this stupid song," I groaned, wanting to take the neck of the guitar and smash it off the ground. We were sitting in sixth block in the corner of the classroom. People looked up at me while Alex laughed lightly, picking up the guitar I'd placed back on his lap. He continued to chuckle, hand still wrapped up, holding the wood and string delicately.

        "You've almost got the entire thing," he encouraged me. I glared at him while he handed me the guitar again. Everyone was buzzing because our performance was in only four, short, agonizing days. I was nervous as hell, and we've only had our entire song for less than a day.

        "I can't sing and play," I felt defeated. I've never had a problem playing the piano and singing. I couldn't get it right on this dumb, acoustic guitar. I thought it would be so much fun to play for Alex because of his hand, but now I just wanted to throw the entire idea out the window and just go with a song that the guys have already had written and play sone kind of piece that makes sense to add piano to. Alex wouldn't let me; he was set on this new song.

        "We have practice tonight, you can come and Zack and Jack will help you too," he supported, hand touching my knee lightly. I rolled my eyes at him and snorted.

        "When we fail this project, you'll know why," I pouted, crossing my arms over my chest. He continued to push the annoying music maker into my grip. I took it unwillingly, knowing he would never stop holding it up to me.

        "Don't be so negative, Stella," Mr. Moore smiled at me, grabbing a hold of a seat and dragging it over to Alex and myself. He was checking up on all of the groups, but he has made it obvious that he was extremely curious about our project two weeks ago when he had nothing done at the time. He was concerned, to say the least, "What happened to your hand, Alex?"

        "Uh, rough Friday night," He seemed to ask, embarrassed while rubbing his neck. I was trying not to smile at the end result of that night; how quickly everyhing had changed.

        "I won't ask any more questions," he gave Alex a sly smile, understanding him completely. That's the thing I loved about Mr. Moore. He didn't think of his students as a bunch of kids that were terrible. He saw himself at our age and appreciated youth. "What's your piece like?"

        "Acoustic," Alex shrugged, smiling, "I'm not allowed to play right now, but it's a good song."

        "What's it about?" He continued to pry. I didn't blame him, if he has heard any of the music Alex had, then he knows that he's in for something really great. Alex was talented and writing exactly how he feels is how he expresses himself. After Mr. Moore asked, his smile sort of faded, unable to find the words.

        "It's about a girl, who like -- sort of leads a boy on continuously," I jumped in as Alex seemed embarrassed at explaining the song. Maybe he is best at speaking through the music. His regular voice seemed to face when talking about things normally. "And he is looking for her, and -- it's hard to explain. You'll just have to wait to hear it," I suttered, unsure of what was too much to say.

        Mr. Moore wasn't discouraged when we barely explained. I had a feeling that he trusted our judgment, even if we weren't always the best partners in the world.

        "I'm happy you two worked our your differences," he raised his eyebrows and I felt my cheeks lush. it was obvious that Mr. Moore knew exactly what happened. I ran my fingers through my hair and diverted my eyes to the guitar in my grip. Alex chuckled as he walked away.

        "Mr. Moore's the man," Alex beamed as he walked away. I cleared my throat and nodded. Mr. Moore was something in his own category entirely.