CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

PATSY KENSIT'S PERSPECTIVE

It wasn't my business to concern myself with who Liam had been with before me. Who he'd found himself wandering around with, or fucking around. We were in love. We were almost married. I had the ring, not any other girl. This was how I'd assure myself. But it wasn't working that well anymore.

It was yesterday night, laying in bed, the covers warm, shielding the both of us from the cold surrounding us. He was passed out. Not even conscious.

Not like in sex when he'd say the wrong name, or anything like that.

Thankfully that hadn't happened yet.

I didn't want him to see my tears, or that I knew he was rolling around with other women. He didn't need to know I was unhappy. That's how our love seemed to be working recently. The other didn't see our unhappiness. Which worked great.

Especially when we came back together to spend weeks upon weeks with one another.

Back to yesterday night.

All was quiet. I'd just turned the television off, preparing to fall asleep as well. At first, I thought he was dreaming.

Dreaming about the woods or something as he mumbled "I miss you Birdie..."

It was silent again and I wondered about what woodland creatures he could be hanging out with.

Then there he went again "Avery..Birdie. Stay."
And after that there was silence.

I stopped in my tracks, pondering over all he had said.

Settling on the inevitable.

Avery Pince was Birdie.

It made sense, I mean, the two had dated. Only, it had been almost a year since they'd even been together. And it had only been two months.

We'd been together much longer, and we both told one another that we loved each other all the time. They had barely known one another.

Birdie.

Why had he called her Birdie?

Why was her album called Birdie?

Why was he still thinking of her, especially when I was right here?

I couldn't sleep, instead of staying in bed, I got up, leaving the bedroom and heading to the living room, finding the stack of records lazily put in the crate, all messed up. If it was there, I might scream.

I immediately move to the back of the crate, knowing he wouldn't be stupid enough to put the records in the front. And sure enough, there sat two Blur records, three WaitTime albums, signed by one Avery Pince .

Picking up on the WaitTime records, my hand ran over the writing on the cover of it, retreading what she'd written months ago.

"Listen and laugh Doll.  XO yours, Birdie."

Birdie. That name sent shivers down my spine, without hesitation, I grabbed the other two records and pulled them out, this time removing the record from the sleeve, looking over the condition of them.