CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

It was a different hotel, this one nicer than the last one, the walls elaborately decorated and sheets were silky. There were at least 5 different rooms and it felt more like a penthouse than a hotel room for me. Either way, I collapsed onto the bed, after finding the master bedroom, spreading my legs out and sinking into it.

Reaching over to the telephone, I called for room service, ordering their finest bottle of wine and a grilled chicken panini. I was hungry and thirsty for trouble. So I kicked my shoes and coat off, rolling around in the bed, till I heard what sounded like the hotel door unlocking.

Peaking out the bedroom door, I see someone pushing the cart in, and especially looking at the bottle that had been set in ice. Quickly running to get a tip for the person, I pick my wallet up and pull out a couple hundred dollar bills.

"Thanks, didn't even think the kitchen would still be open. But um here's a tip. Charge the meal to my card or something." Waltzing over to the kitchen area, I take the cart with me, taking the plate and setting it on the counter, while I hopped onto a bar stool, my tights sliding on the cool metal.

With that, the hotel staff member leaves, looking a bit confused, but heading off to do their job elsewhere in the hotel, leaving me to my sandwich.

I dash to television, which is by the large window that overlooked the city and turn it on, flipping to MTV, letting the random rock music blare and thrust the curtains back, sighing in relief, glad that it was night out, nearly pitch black, except for all the city lights were on.

Beautiful.

But I had a sandwich to attend to, dancing back towards the kitchen area, I take half of the panini and bite into it, enjoying the crunch of the bread, just as the phone rang.

Expecting it to be the front desk or something, I pick it up quickly and without a thought more say "Could you send up a few fresh towels? I don't trust the ones that have been in the room before me if you know what I mean." I laugh, taking another bite, before adding "Also, fuck, you guys have really good panini's. Like I've never had one this good."

"Hotel sounds nice. Might have to get me a room there sometime by the sound of it." It was Liam.

"How did you get this number?" I ask seriously.

"You told me where you were staying Birdie, I got the number and requested your room number. Also, paid off your sandwich bill as a gift. Next time, maybe don't get such an expensive bottle."

"Liam. What do you want? Get to the point." I say, finishing off the first half of the sandwich and reaching for the next half.

"Avery. You've got to listen to me. Give me a chance. Just you and I private, away from the nonsense of the world."

I cut him off "Why would I ever want to do that?"

"Because I-I, FUCK! Can't you just listen to me? Birdie please."

I stay quiet, letting him talk for a moment, just wanting to hear his voice.

"Avery, I love you. I know it sounds fucking fake, I know you don't believe me. But I do snd love is something I don't throw around. I-I have been keeping up with you ever since we broke up.

I have a stash of tabloids under my bed, VHS tapes with your performances and interviews on them. Just in case I missed it. Birdie, I've got to have you."

"You're married Liam. You're about to become a father as well."

"So? Look! Look Birdie, give me time to sort this all out, and we'll be all good, you and I? I'll get divorced. Patsy and I aren't good together, we both know that. But we are. Please Avery." He says, his voice holding aggressive undertones, frustrated with my lack of an answer.