CHAPTER FIFTY FIVE

Shit. Was I really doing this, breaking up with Matt in Noel's house, while waiting for Liam to show up? Really?

I'd gone from the great day of making and creating a project with Graham to being lost in a sea of people, now sent on a mission to break up with my boyfriend as I'd realized we really weren't made for one another.

But it was Matt.

He was like a gold retriever. Honestly. It would be more cringeworthy than sad, personally I just didn't care to see someone start crying or get upset today. Especially since I was sober. I can't handle that, it would drive me insane.

So, I did the most rational thing I could and decided to hang out by the fish tank.

Almost immediately spotting the electric blue one that had reminded me of myself the other day.

Now that I could actually view the fish, I saw it had an orange striped fin and looked eccentric, more over the top and defined than I had previously thought. Almost taking my mind off everything.

"Aren't you supposed to be breaking up with Matty Boy?" Someone asks, upon further inspection I see that it's Noel.

I roll my eyes "Fuck off would you? I'm watching the fish."

"No way. Besides, Kate wants me to sober up for a bit and well, FUCK that." He snickers, leaning against the wall to balance.

"Shouldn't you be keeping your wife company?" I question

This time Noel rolls his eyes "Meg is fine! Besides, Avery, can I call you Birdie? I'm calling you Birdie. You are Liam are too fucking funny to miss."

"What is that supposed to mean?" I raise an eyebrow, crossing my arms.

"Relax, it's a good thing." He slurs, chuckling a little. "I like you more than his other women."

"Why is that?" I ask curiously, pretty sure we had even had this conversation before.

"You're a fucking musician! And a fit one too! You've got, got more brains than the two of us combined." He gestures around before a grin grows across his face. "Can I tell you a secret Birdie?"

Oh boy.

A Drunk Gallagher was something to be feared in my books. So I wasn't sure what to expect.

"Yes?" I say, proceeding carefully, unsure of where this conversation was heading.

"Back in 96' I didn't like you cause you were with Liam. He knew I fucking fancied you." He seems to be staring directly at me, his drink in his hand. Where was everyone else? I didn't like this.

"Really? Wow. That's unexpected." I say unenthusiastically, looking down at the ground towards my shoes, hoping that the subject gets changed.

Yeah. That didn't happen.

"I even picked out that fucking guitar he gave you, or was supposed to, and hell, he never stopped going after you. So I hated you instead."

"Glad we're all past that now and can talk as buddies. Say, whatever happened to that guitar?" I ask curiously.

Noel squints and thinks a bit "One of us has it, not sure where though." He downs the last bit of his drink before allowing his gaze to linger on me for a second before announcing that he was leaving to get more alcohol. Hopefully Kate would find him before then.

Either way, I was practically dashing away from the fish tank, deciding that drunk Noel was like the feelings monster and that I preferred sober, snarky, ready to attack Noel instead.