Chapter 43: Out of the Woods

*Isadora's POV*

At first the idea of stowing away in the Lucky Smells truck seemed like a good idea, I felt somewhat sick from the idea of going to Paltryville. Lord knows Mom and Dad avoided it at all costs. My brothers and I never got an answer as to why they'd never go. Only an 'It's dangerous there, children.' I squeezed Bubba in my hand, hoping to relieve some tension. I had taken a nap a while back but it didn't exactly help. Some of us were used to staying up twenty four hours anyways. I even tried to think of some poetry to calm me down, but nothing really worked out. I imagined Duncan was having a similar anxious feeling. Even if I was anxious, I wouldn't let my feelings get in the way of finding answers to our questions!

But until we got there, I'd have to sit in the back of a truck, uneasily waiting for us to arrive. I slouched over, staring at my feet. I had taken off my shoes so they, and my socks, would dry faster because of all the water that had gotten into the boat. I felt a hand on my left shoulder and looked up at Klaus, smiling softly. He gave me a similar smile. "We're doing the best we can." He whispered. I nodded in agreement.

"Do you think Mr. Poe is too worried about us?" Violet asked quietly. We all looked at her like she was crazy and she chuckled. "Good point." She raised her head to peek through the little window to see where we were, but immediately ducked back down.

"What the gum?!" We heard from inside the truck.

"Shit..." Violet mumbled.

The truck pulled over and came up to the side of the flatbed, glaring at us. "What do you think you're doing?"

"We're sorry, Sir, we were in a bad situation-"

"That was a rhetorical question. Do you not know what that means?"

Klaus frowned. "It's a question you're not supposed to answer, but Sir-"

"It means get out of my truck!" He shouted. "And stop calling me Sir. That's my boss' name! Get out. This stop is going to make me late for my delivery!"

I quickly put on my shoes and got out. Violet handed Sunny to me when she climbed out and the moment she hit the dirt, the driver left. "Get a job, you lazy hitchhikers!" He shouted after us.

Klaus took a deep breath. "What do we do now?" he asked.

"We'll walk." Violet said. "Sorry, you guys..."

"It's fine, Violet," Duncan said with a smile.

"Yeah, it was an accident." I added.

"Wak?" Sunny whined.

I giggled. "It's fune, Sunny. I got you. Besides, you're the only one out of us who doesn't have to walk!"

"We're almost out of the woods anyway," Klaus smiled. "We'll be at Lucky Smells in no time."

I smiled. That was true, we were nearly out of the forest, but we'd eventually discover that we were not out of the woods...

*Sorry it's so short but you know... Stuff haha*