Chapter 35: In Mint Condition

*Violet's POV*

"Uh, hello, I'm Larry, your waiter," said Larry, our waiter. He was a tall, skinny man in a faded red clown outfit with a name tag pinned to his chest that read LARRY . "Welcome to the Anxious Clown restaurant- where everybody has a good time, whether they like it or not. I can see we have a whole family lunching together today, so allow me to recommend the Extra Fun Special Family Appetizer. It's a bunch of things fried up together and served with a sauce." He spoke fast and gave us an anxious smile as if he was being held captive.

"What a wonderful idea," Captain Sham said, smiling in a way that showed all of his yellow teeth. "An Extra Fun Special Family Appetizer for an extra fun special family-mine."

"I'll just have water, thank you," I said to Larry.

"Same with me," Klaus said. "And a glass of ice cubes for my baby sister, please."

"May I please have a lemonade?" Isadora asked.

"Water with lemon, please and thank you." Duncan ordered.

"I'll have a cup of coffee with nondairy creamer," Mr. Poe said.

"Oh, no, Mr. Poe," Captain Sham said. "Let's share a nice big bottle of red wine."

"No, thank you, Captain Sham," Mr. Poe said. "I don't drink."

"But this is a celebratory brunch," Captain Sham exclaimed. "We should drink a toast to my five new children. It's not every day that a man becomes a father!"

"Please, Captain Sham, it's nice to hear that you're glad to raise the children, but they're rather upset at the loss of their Aunt Josephine."

"I am upset, too," he said, instantly changing to a mournful tone like a chameleon. "I'm probably more upset... Josephine was my oldest and dearest friend..."

"You met her yesterday," Klaus pointed out.

"At the grocery store," Isadora added.

"It really does seem like yesterday, but it was actually many years ago," He continued to spout bullshit. "She and I met at cooking school. We were oven partners in the Advanced Baking Course. Soon we became fast friends and she said to me 'If I ever adopt some orphans and then meet an untimely death, promise me that you will raise them as if they're your own.' Of course, I agreed but I had no idea I'd need to honor that promise."

"Josephine is dead?!" Larry shrieked, thunder rumbling outside.

Captain Sham smirked at the waiter. "Yes," he said, "Josephine Anwhistle killed herself late last night. Threw herself out the window of her home, didn't you hear?"

Our waiter tried to conceal his hyperventilating. "Oh dear, I didn't realize this was a sad occasion... In that case, allow me to recommend the Cheer-Up Cheeseburgers. The pickles, mustard, and ketchup make a little smiley face on top of the burger, so make sure you look inside before you eat it."

"Well that sounds like a great idea," Sham said sarcastically. "Cheer-Up Cheeseburgers for everyone, Larry." He waved the waiter away and rolled his eyes. My siblings, the Quagmires, and I looked at eachother curiously. What odd service...

"I want to emphasize straight away that the riches left behind by their families will still be under my supervision until Violet and the Quagmires come of age." Mr. Poe said.

"What riches? I don't know about any riches."

"The Baudelaire parents have left behind an enormous amount of money, and Mr. and Mrs. Quagmire left behind a jewel collection that brings them enough to live luxuriously. When Violet and the Quagmires' eighteenth birthdays come, they will inherit their respective fortunes."