Chapter 53: Let's Go On

*Klaus' POV*

"I can't believe it..."

"It does sound like something out of a scary movie..." Violet agreed.

"No, I believe that part; I read the Encyclopedia Hypnotica last year." I said. "It described all these famous cases of hypnosis throughout history. There was an ancient Egyptian king who was hypnotized, and all someone had to do was shout 'Ramses!' and he'd cluck like a chicken. And a Chinese merchant who lived during the Ling Dynasty was hypnotized, and if he heard the word 'Mao', he'd play the violin, even though he hadn't even seen one before! And then there was a man from England who was hypnotized in the nineteen-twenties and if he heard the word 'Bloomsbury!' he'd suddenly become this brilliant writer even though he couldn't read!"

"Klaus, um... What's your point?" Izzie asked with a small smile.

I smiled shyly. "Sorry, it was an interesting book and I'm happy it's coming in handy... What I'm trying to say is I believe the hypnosis part, but I can't believe I hurt Phil... And I almost hurt Sunny... And made you all worry about me... I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault," Izzie said, patting me on the back.

"Yeah, it's Count Olaf's fault."

"And that bitch Orwell's too!" Izzie added to her brother.

"Charles will be back soon. He wants to help us." Violet informed me.

"Yes, but he's at Dr. Orwell's currently, right?" I asked. "Won't he be hypnotized just like I was?" I stood up. "If Dr. Orwell did something to my brain, I need to fix it."

"But you can't go back there, Klaus! It's too dangerous." Duncan said.

"I don't care," I said, shrugging and starting for the door.

Izzie climbed over my bunk and blocked my path. "What if you get hurt?!"

"What if I cause another accident and hurt someone else?" I countered, gently moving her out of my way. "Or worse, I could hurt one of you..."

"Klaus, you can't go!!" Izzie insisted, grabbing my wrist to stop me.

"You and Violet wanted to stay," I said. "You wanted to clear the names of our parents."

"We don't care anymore!" Violet chimed in. "We just want you to be safe. Count Olaf is here, we have to go."

"And we will go!!!" I exclaimed. "When I get back from Dr. Orwell's."

I left by myself and I was nearly across the courtyard when they caught up with me. Violet and Izzie held my hands and Duncan put a hand on my shoulder.

"What's that thing Samuel Beckett said?"

"'I can't go on. I'll go on.'"

"Let's go on together."

I smiled softly at my family and we went on. Together.