Chapter 71

-February 16th, '02-

Are they ever going to get up when I do? Probably not. I sit on the floor in a w-position and put in my earrings, feeling them hit against my neck. They're hoop earrings with a circus lady sitting on the hoop. The studs, however, are two flames for no reason.

"First one up again," Sid says.

"Yeah," I say.

"You going to be out in the crowd today," he asks. He starts where he left off on the braid, and I think I'm at the 50-55 foot mark.

"Yeah. Someday, you'll be a master braider," I say.

"I already am. I can braid the rest of this in a couple minutes if I don't loose focus," he says.

"Yes but a master braider like me can braid the rest and keep a conversation with someone," I say.

"Have you got some more insults you need to get out before you see the maggots," he asks.

"I always do. But, I do have one. But it's for Jim," I say.

"This oughtta be good," he says. He finishes the braid and ties it, resting his head on my shoulder.

"I don't like 90. They keep telling me that it'll pass in a couple days but here we are, almost a year past," he says. I put my hand on his head and lean my head on his, letting my hand drop.

"Lorey and Criz has been going on since '99. I don't think it's going to stop anytime soon," I say.

"I think the ships should be buried 6 feet under. It's dead. And what do they expect? I'm the only single one here," he says.

"That's the point. They want you to find someone, and they think I'm single as well. They want us to get together basically," I say.

"I'd rather have you as a twin sister than a girlfriend. It's logic," he says.

"I agree with that. I mean, Bruce's in another country. He loves me, I love him, but he doesn't see me much. He gave me a promise ring, but do you think he's going to propose soon," I ask.

"Maybe next time you see him," he says. Joey comes in with a grumpy cat face and sits beside me, crossing his arms. Sid also feels the grumpy-ness and scoots to my other side, trying to get away.

"Bad morning," I ask. 

He doesn't respond, so I put my head on his, trying to soften him a little. Instead of letting whatever bothered him go, he forcefully pushes me away. I get pushed against Sid, and he falls back. I get up and sit back where I was, almost seeing his anger radiating off of him.

"Did I do something," I ask. He looks away and I sigh, turning to him.

"Either you're going to talk or I'm going to make you talk," I say. He sharply exhales from his nose and I roll my eyes, putting both hands on his back. I scratch his back and at first, he tenses. but, after a few seconds he softens and shows he enjoys it by smiling.

"Now do you feel better," I ask.

"Yeah," he says. He hugs me and Sid gets confused on how I did that. I let go and Corey walks in, patting my head as he walks past.

"What did you do," Sid asks.

"I just scratched his back. Everyone knows that a way to a man's heart has two ways. His stomach and back-scratching," I say.

"Do it to me," he says. 

I scratch his back and he melts, getting Corey's attention. Soon, all the guys want back-scratches since I got off the bus a few minutes ago. The hardest to scratch was Jim, but Sid helped. I sit on Sid's shoulders and I scratch Jim's back, making him sigh in relief.

"Is that everyone," I ask. My nail beds kind of hurt after that.

"Yep," Chris says, in a way better mood after his back-scratch.

"You're coming with me," Sid says. He walks into the venue and I duck through the doorframe, hearing a metal clang after me. I turn and so does Sid, seeing Jim stumbling back with a dazed expression.

"Glad I'm not a giant," I say. Jim shakes his head and rubs his forehead, carefully ducking under the doorframe.

"Being tall sucks," he says. We enter the dressing room and before I hop off Sid, I take a look at Jim's forehead. There's going to be a bruise, but I can't really do anything about that.

"Cool earrings," Jim says as I look at his forehead.

"Thanks. Maggots can think up anything and I'll still love it," I say. I pat his head and hop off Sid, letting them get changed while I answer my phone.

"Yesum," I ask, making Claire laugh.

"I forgot you did that. Hey, there's something I want to ask you," she says.

"Go ahead," I say.

"Since you gained another friend and that friend has become my friend, you up for getting a friendship tattoo," she asks. I can hear faintly in the background Sakari pleading to hear mom.

"I dunno. What did Ari say about it," I ask.

"She said she would get my selection, which is a little red heart," she says.

"Sounds like I'm getting a tattoo when I get home," I say. 

The guys go dead silent and I glance over my shoulder to look at them. They're looking at me with surprised eyes, mostly all of them almost analyzing me. I smile and turn back to the wall since they only had half of their coveralls on.

"Great! Where should we get it," she asks.

"How about the thigh? It's the perfect place since I usually wear leggings," I say.

"I was thinking there too," she says. She yelps and I hear Sakari more clearly now. She must've jumped up to hear me.

"Hey Sakari," I say. I can hear whispers from the guys behind me, so I turn around and look at them. They go silent and Sakari starts talking while her tail hits the wall beside her.

"Mommy! When are you coming home," she asks.

"19 or so days hon," I say. I feel like a mom talking like this.

"Can you come home earlier," she whines after.

"I'm afraid not. I'm in another country, and I won't be in America until I'm home," I say.

"Okay," she whines.

"I love you," I say. She says it back and jumps down, letting Claire talk to me.

"Smart pup. When are you really coming home," she asks.

"I'll be home at about March 29th, then I'm going back on August 19th for the European leg to end the tour. After that I don't think we have any more tours left for a while," I say.

"How long," she asks.

"Maybe a couple years. I dunno, I'm not Slipknot's manager. I'm their figurative sister," I say.

"True. Hey, could you slap Sid for me," she asks.

"Do I want an explanation," I ask.

"Probably not," she says. I'm guessing he got drunk or high and tried to kiss her again. It's happened before and since they're both single, I'm guessing Claire's warming up to him after last summer.

"You got it. Make sure you hug Sakari for me," I say. We bid our goodbyes and I put my phone back, seeing the guys observing me like cats.