Chapter 84

-Liz's POV-

I should've stayed upstairs with my 6 foot bear. But no. I had to walk downstairs and get dragged to the hospital I work at. Corey drives while I keep my grumpy cat face on and my arms crossed.

"I told you I don't need to go to the hospital," I say.

"Oh but you do. If you're the Liz I know, when you cry because of pain, it's bad," he says.

"Okay fine. You got that part right," I say.

"Come on, you don't want to look like that when you go in," he says. I look away out the window and he reaches over, tickling my side. I break and smile, swatting his hand away.

"There we go. Now you look even prettier," he says.

"I'm not pretty. Especially not with my shoulder," I say. 

I'm wearing a black spaghetti strap crop top with little daises on it and a black skater skirt that shows my stab scar and the little red heart. I picked my metal shoes today because why not. I'm probably going to get an x-ray anyway.

"Don't let the haters get the victory. You're pretty even with a dead person's bone and muscle in your shoulder. It makes you look like the warrior you are," he says. I smile and walk in, seeing Julie walk by.

"Hey Liz," she says.

"Hi Julie. How's the kids," I ask.

"Rowdy," she says as she walks past. Dan walks past as well.

"Hey Dan. Working hard or hardly working," I say.

"Ain't that the truth," he says.

I'm not a social butterfly, but I get along with people here. They love hearing stories of why I got my tats. I walk to the front desk and give them my name, getting a sheet of paper with boxes to check off.

"The one thing I hate," I say. I sit with Corey and check off the appropriate boxes, waiting for Amanda, my doctor's helper, to call me.

"Liz," she calls. 

I stand and Corey stays back, thankfully bringing a book along so he doesn't get hyper. I hand her the form and she leads me back, putting me in a white-washed room. I sit on the table and wait, looking around. I just hope it's nothing bad enough for surgery.

---time skip---

I was wrong. So, so wrong. I thought it was something like muscle cramps from my lower legs being overworked, but oh no. How am I going to tell the guys? 

I go back to the waiting room and Corey looks up, standing when I wave him to come with. I walk out and we take the elevator since Corey didn't want me in more pain than I already am. While he drives me back to the mansion, I'm thinking of ways to break the news to the guys.

'Hey guess what? I'm getting my legs cut off!' No, too peppy.

'I have to tell you guys something. My legs are going to be cut off.' No. Maybe. Something like that.

"Liz? You can get out now," Corey says. He grabs my hand and holds it as I walk to the door. He opens it and the guys are there, standing and looking at me with worried expressions.

"What," I ask as I take off my shoes.

"What's the problem," Sid asks.

"You may want to sit down for this," I say. They go to the living room and sit on the couches, making me stand in the middle.

"The doctor said I had dying bones in my lower legs. It's attacking my knees and ankles as well. They don't know why my bones are dying, and I don't either. They gave me two options: live through it with a dependence on pain medication or amputation," I say. All of the guys look like they're going to faint.

"What did you pick," Shawn asks.

"Amputation. It's going to be above the knee so it'll stop my pain and the attacking," I say.

"Isn't there another way that doesn't involve those two options? There has to be something," Sid says.

"I wish Sid. But, this is really the only way I can be out of pain for good. I know all of you will understand that this is the best option I can go for," I say.

"The real question I know all of you want to ask is 'How much am I paying for?'. Nothing. My insurance thankfully is so good I have no co-pays for this procedure," I say.

"When's the surgery," Joey asks. They all sound and look depressed.

"They haven't set a date yet. But they were thinking the weekend after next week since it's the weekend," I say.

"You're not seriously going to go back to work, are you," Corey asks. He sounds mad at me for wanting to go back to work.

"I was thinking of taking a few days off before the procedure, but the days before that I'm going to work," I say. His eyes show he's disapproving of my choice, but he keeps a straight face.

"I hope I didn't ruin your fun today," I say.

"No Liz, you didn't. We're glad you told us instead of hiding it," Mick says. They all hug me and Sakari puts her nose on my shin lightly, showing her understanding for me. The cat, though, sits on my feet and drops a songbird on my feet.

"I appreciate it girl, but please no," I say. 

I pick to bird up and it wakes up in my hand, chirping its song. It seemed calm enough for me to walk out and release it in the backyard. It flies away and perches on a branch not far away, chirping a few notes for me. I walk back and Sakari follows at a foot's distance. Like usual.