Part 53

Preeti stared at the cloud smitten sky, her arms crossed near her chest; it was almost black covering the beautiful sheet of blanket which always remained there. She started to resemble the very welkin's condition with herself. She was like the sky, wasn't she? Her mischievousness, her softness, her charming smile; everything was veiled under the clouds of happenings of the last 8 years. Who was she to blame others? She questioned herself. Who was she to blame others when she herself did not have a tinge of courage to open herself in the past? Her wet eyes lifted to see the azure; it gave out a harsh roaring. The thunderbolts above were as the same in her heart. She wanted to shout, speak up, pour out; but again she had to go with the small-time thundering only. But it was not enough because this will result in more aches at the endpoint. Like the clouds above there; until and unless it doesn't flow down swiftly they have to stand against the rasping thunders.

Before she could relate herself more, her ears stood to the slight closing of the door. She could point out, who it could be. To her exact identification, Naina came and stood beside her. She caught the balcony railing and lifted her chin up. She roamed her eyes to and fro the horizon; the weather was gloomy, not so moody and morose. She spoke out a soft whisper, "lagta hai bohot bhari baarish hone wali hai"

When she did not get a response from the person on her side, she slowly moved her head towards her only to find her standing like a statue. Preeti's gazed fixed on her. She could study her eyes; it conveyed pain, love, forgiveness, sorrow, guilt and whatever emotions could be named at that time. She thought, she should initiate the conversation. She lifted her hand, "Preeti". And the wall broke. Preeti could not keep her pain to herself anymore. She succumbed, completely forgetting herself in her sister's arms. She scoffed and cried hardly on her shoulder.

As she started to squeeze her heart out, the downpour hit the ground so hard, that none found a place to escape. Everyone started to find a roof until the rain becomes lighter.

Naina parted and saw her sister's overlook. She was sobbing with nonstop hiccups; her gaze fixed on their linked palms. Naina raised her hand to wipe her face to which Preeti felt a heavy stone lifting off her chest. Naina spoke as the pain her sister was bearing, was not being tolerable for her too, "Preeti, mujhe maaf karde ki main tera dard kabhi samajh nahi paayi. Kabhi koshish bhi nahi kari tere dil ki baat jaane ki. Tu humesha jaanti thi ki mujhe kis waqt kya chahiye hota tha, aur ek main thi. Main toh..."

"Nahi Naina..." It was obvious, Preeti would not let her complete.

She started, "tu kyun maafi maang rahi hai? Jab galti meri hai toh isme teri maafi kyun?"

Naina twisted the rail to herself, "par Preeti, main bhi toh..."

Preeti gave an irritated sound out of her mouth, "bas na Naina. Maine bol diya na teri koi galti nahi thi. Maine tujhe jab kuchh pata lagne nahi diya toh tujhe pata kaise hota? Bas mujhe koi behes nahi karni iss baat pe ab." Preeti stopped her before she could point on herself.

Naina nodded silently. She took a look at the surrounding; the cloudburst was increasing every second. It looked like the dark curtain on the azure was slowly unveiling. Some drizzles were hitting them. Naina tried to pull Preeti inside, "Preeti, baarish ho rahi hai. Andar chalke baat karte hain." She nodded and before going inside, she slid some of the things in the side in the gallery itself so that the drizzles do not affect them.

She quietly followed Naina and closed the door behind. The room had turned a bit darker than the usual time. Naina glided the chair out of the table and signaled her to sit. She obliged and sat in front of her.

She went silent once again. Naina palmed her cheek and rested her elbow on the edge of the table, "toh? Kabse chal raha tha ye sab?"

Preeti's lips curled up without seeking her permission. Naina was amazed. The girl who showed that she was not interested in the 'love' things ever before; today her imagination clouded with the soothing effect of that first love. Naina was however satisfied as this wasn't bad anywhere.