Part 22

Sushila aunty managed to balance herself and Swati as Swati leaned to her closing her eyes. She impatiently talked, ''ye...ye to behosh ho gayi.....sunyeji....jaldi darwaaza kholiye na....Pandit....tu mera muh kya dekh raha hai khade khade....jaa jake agli gali ke clinic se doctor ko bula ke laa....''

''Haan...haan...main jaata hun.... aap Swati ka dhyan rakhna....main abhi aaya...'' Pandit assured and ran to call the doctor riding on his bike.

''aapse ek darwaaze ka lock nahi khul raha hai kab se....arey jaldi kijiye na...ye behosh kaise hogayi.....'' Sushila aunty spoke furiously to her husband who was still struggling with the lock.

After a few seconds more, he opened the door ajar and gave the way to Sushila aunty to take Swati inside, ''aao jaldi Sushila....Swati ko kamre mein leta do...jaldi....''

Sushila spoke to her husband while taking Swati inside the room, ''aap zara kitchen se paani laa dijiye...aur darwaaza band karke aana ....pata chala fir se koi tamasha dekhne aajayenge humare padosi.....'' She gritted her teeth at last.

Her husband nodded and went inside the kitchen. She carefully took Swati in the room and made her lie down on the bed slowly. She took off her chappals and loosed her pallu on her shoulders taking out the pin and keeping it aside on the table.

Pandit's father entered the room hurriedly with a glass of water and handed it to Sushila. She silently took the galss and sprinkled some of the drops on her face. She squeezed and blinked her eyes in reflex and tried to open her eyes. She tried to get up but clutching her head again fell down unconscious. Sushila aunty again got restless and spoke shaking her husband's hand, ''ye uth kyun nahi rahi hai ji.....kya hogaya hai ise....aur Pandit kahan reh gaya....abhi tak aaya bhi nahi....''

''shaant hojaao Sushila....Pandit aata hi hoga....aajaega chinta mat karo....'' assured her husband patting her shoulder time to time. A few minutes later, Pandit came running inside the room showing way to the doctor along with him. His parents stood up from their places seeing the doctor enter the room. Pandit said hurriedly, ''doctor....ye Swati....''

''aap log bahar jaaeye....main dekhti hun....'' the doctor said facing the two men in the room. They both looked at each other and left the room without speaking a word. They came and sat out on the sofa but they were not at ease until they come to know about Swati's wellbeing.

Some 15 minutes later, the door opened and the doctor along with Sushila aunty came out. They instantly went upto them and asked, ''kya baat hai doctor? Swati thik to hai na....jyada kamzori to nahi hai na?....aur achanak behosh kaise hogayi....'' Pandit father asked narrowing his face. Pandit too stood to listen.

They saw Sushila aunty whose face was sweating as if she had seen a ghost. Before Pandit could could go up to her, the doctor spoke a bit hesitatingly facing Pandit, ''aap....Swati aapki kya lagti hai?''

Pandit furrowed his eyebrows not knowing why was the doctor asking him this question right now. But he straightly answered without going deeper, ''jee Swati meri behen hai....''

A tinge of unknown expression came to the doctor's face and she again spoke, '' O achha....aur inke pati kahan hain?'' she asked in a low tone.

The two men still were confused that why was the doctor in the mood to ask them such senseless questions right now. Why was she not speaking on point about Swati.

Pandit sighed but did not know what to answer her question, ''iska pati...wo....wo to yahan pe....magar aap iss waqt ye sawal kyun kar rahi hain?....aap sidhe sidhe batayye na ki Swati kaisi hai?'' Pandit turned the answer nervously.