Part 60

Preeti badly feared the moment her MIL would arrive here. She bit her lips, twitched her fingers and roamed around the whole room thinking what her MIL would say when she will come to know about her job and most importantly about her and Pandit. She never ever feared about what others said, but yes, she feared what those people will say whom she loved and respected. Although Pandit, Naina, Sameer, Munna, Swati, Tanvi and probably Aditya too, was on her side, but the viewpoint they had towards her, maybe others will not have. And moreover, Anand, Bela, Taiji, Tauji and Rakesh were unaware of the events happening here. Neither Pandit's parents knew it. She sat on the chair taking long breaths; the time was the most difficult one.

Naina too waited for the time Nirmala aunty would arrive. She sat biting her nails. Although Preeti did not bother her about anything, but this thing was known to all of them and automatically made everyone tensed. It was already the evening time, and she would arrive any minute now.

Sameer had been siting besides her for last 20 minutes. But she was in the same position. Neither did she talk to him, nor she stop to think. He rested his palm on his temple and elbow on the head rest, watching her keenly. The more her forehead creases got deeper, the more Sameer got tensed about her. Sameer sighed deeply and kneeled down in front of her. She calmed down a little, closed her eyes for second and looked up, "Sameer main...". Before she could complete, Sameer did not let her and hugged her tight. He rubbed her back slowly and thought she was not at fault...by any angle. She was just concerned about her sister and so was he for his dear wife. A while later, they parted. She looked at peace. He got satisfied as a hint of small smile on her lips said it all.

He started in a low voice looking at their joined hands, "Main jaanta hun Naina tum kya soch rahi ho. Samajh sakta hun. Tum Preeti ko lekar tensed ho, Pandit, Munna, Swati sab ko lekar tensed ho. Main bhi hun. Aur maine kaha toh, main tumhare saath hun, humesha. Itna soch soch ke tum sirf apna sehat bigaad rahi ho aur kuchh nahi." His words were soft.

Naina tightened her grip on their locked hands. Sameer looked into her eyes, "Tumhe ye kehne ki zarurat nahi hai Sameer. Main ye baat jaanti hun. Duniya mein koi mera saath de na de, main chahe kisi bhi situation mein rahun, tum humesha mere paas ho aur rahoge." He smiled in contentment seeing her trust on him. She hugged him again and together they promised each other again that whatever happens 'trust' and 'love' are the things that will remain unaltered between...always. Silently, both of them prayed that this remains constant till infinity.

After some anxious and half-hearted waits, Nirmala aunty was finally home. Everyone in the society had come to know. It was obvious as everyone knew them. Naina was in a hurry so she assured Preeti prior, "Tujhse naa ho toh bula lena mujhe bhi. Aur bilkul tension mat lena hum sab hain tere saath mein, Aur..." Before she could complete, Sameer snatched the phone from her hand and spoke in a bit irritation, "kya kar rahi ho Naina? Abhi se thodi na bolegi na wo Nirmala aunty ko sab kuchh. Matlab unko aane toh do, thoda saans le lene do. Aur waise bhi, sabse pehle Preeti ko apne kaam ke baare mein baat karne do. Tum jaanti ho unko wo bhi pasand nahi aayega. Pehle bhi iss baat ko leke uss ghar mein bawal ho chuka hai. Baaki rahi uske aur pandit waali baat, wo Pandit ko bhi aur hum sab ko bhi...wahan pe hona padega. Aise hi thodi na hoga. Thoda hadbadana band karo tum pehle."

Preeti smiled in relief. This was what exactly she wanted to say. She spoke when Naina snatched away the phone again, "Haan behen! Jijaji bilkul thik keh rahe hain. Pehle aane toh de unhe. Baad mein dheere dheere hoga na ye sab. Itni jald baazi mein agar maine ye sab jaake mummy ji se abhi ke abhi keh diya toh wo ulta mujhe hi ghar se nikal dengi." And both of them chuckled at the end. Naina understood. Probably her brain was running too fast.

It was after some minutes later their conversation, Nirmala aunty had finally arrived. And as expected, Preeti was horrified. But she calmed herself down and started to fulfil her responsibility as a DIL first. She quietly came, touched her feet and took her luggage to her room. She came out and gave her MIL a glass of water as she seated on the bed inside her bedroom. All this while Nirmala aunty was in her own world, "Ab apno bharoso hai par ye kaali zuban ko koni. 2 mahine se ghar se bahar thi. Ghar ki aur maare Samar ki yaad toh bohot aayi, par man ko thodoso shanti bhi mili. Yahan ke shor sarabe se thode hi din ke liye dur, apne kanha ji ke sharan mein jaake ke aayi. Aur apne Subham ke liye prathna bhi ki, ki jahan bhi hai maara chhora, salamat rahe bas." Obviously, both got emotional for a second. But Preeti listened to her silently. Whatever she spoke, whatever she narrated, how she made some good friends on the 'yatra' and how they too were helpful with her. How she shared her stories and listened theirs' too. All these while, Preeti pressed her leg and silently listened to her. She questioned about Samar too and came to know that he had fallen asleep fast today. Nirmala aunty also shared her excitement to meet Tanvi and Gauri aunty. But as it was about to get night, she postponed it for tomorrow morning.