//Not Again//

Drax's POV

The longer I stayed away from the diary the worse it got. It was isolating, being away from her. I wanted to ask Lock for the diary but I also didn't. Lock was right, she wasn't real. Mercury was real. She was brilliant. Everything about her made sense in a whimsical sort of way.

Maybe it was that smile, I couldn't tell.

And despite what I'd convinced myself of, I couldn't deny the fact that I had been slowly consumed by her sweet words. She intimidated me, her honesty, vulnerability, the way her handwriting was perfect but so deeply flawed. I knew that she had an effect on me. I knew she was real but Mercury was real in the ways that mattered.

But I couldn't stop thinking about the diary. No matter how hard I tried. Even now, I was supposed to be focussing on class but couldn't. Wendy nudged my elbow and I realised I'd been asked a question. My brain wasn't cooperating.

Lock was sat a few seats away and looked my way a couple of times, like he knew what was going on in my head.

I was told to pay attention but I knew it wouldn't work. I could try and still it wouldn't do anything.

***

P and I were the first to arrive at our table for lunch.

"I'm proud of us." She said.

"You are?"

"Yeah, we're moving on, like for real this time, so that's nice."

"I guess it's something."

"Lock's different from you, you know?"

"Yeah, I didn't think we were the same."

"Drax... we're okay, right?" She seemed shaky as she reached out a hand. 

"Yes, Peach. Why wouldn't we be?" I nodded and squeezed her hand.

"I don't know, you seem off."

"I just miss the diary."

"Right, Lock took it away, I heard."

"I don't want to ask for it."

"Why not? You were obsessed with it. I'm surprised you let it out of your sight at all."

"I don't know, I'm trying to move forward and she isn't real."

"After all this time, you're going to finally admit that I was right?"

"Yeah, you were. Bask in your own glory, oh! Great one!"

She giggled, her laugh was such a perfect melody. Sweet and rough, but mainly, just full of life.

Johnny and Finn showed up by then and it wasn't just P and I alone anymore.

"Not again," Johnny sighed at our joint hands.

"Nope, not again," I said and pulled away. Although I knew I'd always love P more than was considered to be generally acceptable.

Lock appeared as well. She wrapped an arm around P and kissed her on the head, while she pretended to bite his arm.

I was happy for them. I didn't understand how it worked but I was glad it did. P deserved happiness.

"Hey, Draxy, what are you eating?" Lock asked, pointing to my lunch.

"Mercury made me something," I beamed.

"So the date did go well!"