Page 106// No Hard Edges

Hi. Chase here. Again. I don't know if I should tell you this but Chase is an inside joke. Our inside joke. It's something only she and I know. Maybe someday I'll tell her that I legally changed my middle name to Chase because it always cracked us up.

And I know that's probably not a great idea. What if we break up, right? Yeah, then I guess I'll be stuck with a middle name that always cracks my ex up. I didn't really think it through, okay? That's her thing.

I don't know why I agreed to do this again? Actually, I do know. The way she looked at me with her big, pleading, almost sad eyes. And then the way they lit up like a fucking Christmas tree when I said I'd do it. So that's why I'm here. Oversharing with my girlfriend's journal.

I'm allergic to peanuts.

I like herbal tea, big puppies, and playing with my girlfriend's hair. Also, dragons are kinda nice?

"Hey?" Wendy brushed her fingers through my hair as my head rested on her lap.

I put the journal down and looked at her.

"Do you feel okay?"

"No." I murmured taking her hand in mine.

She squeezed my hand, "that's okay, I'm here, as long as you need me to stay up with you?"

"Do you think Lace's gonna be okay?"

"She's got you Draxy," she looked at me with a collection of emotions spread across her face.

"That's why I worry about her. I couldn't move when I saw him and--and I don't know, Wend, she deserves so much better."

"Well, too bad then, she's stuck with you. Drax...I've seen you grow up, I know I was technically growing up too but I've spent enough time watching you to say that. And you know what, Draxy? You don't have a single hard edge, you're warm and give great hugs, you make good breakfast and you never let your father make you like him. I think Lacey's lucky to have you. I think I'm lucky to have you."

"And what about the fact that I'll probably never stand up to him? What about how I treat P? What about how I'm invading someone's privacy by reading through their journal?"

"Hey, I never said you're perfect." She smiled.

"I never will be."

"And that's okay Draxy. You don't have to be." She shook her head, still smiling.

We just sat there in silence. She let go of my hand and stroked my hair instead. Humming a soft tune that I didn't recognize. But that was Wendy. The only person who'd treat me like I was a large house cat in the middle of the night.

"Hey?" she looked at me again, "thank you," she said.

"What for?"

"Everything."

I sat up and looked at her.

"You aren't dying, are you?"

"No, Draxy. I just wanted to thank you. For being a decent friend."

"Decent?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Fine. The best."