//I've skipped for less//

It was 3 a.m. and the rapid knocking on the front door wouldn't stop. Lacey was curled up into a sleeping ball on the bed next to me. I couldn't get myself to open the door. The whole scenario was oddly reminiscent of the times when dad used to come home drunk and fired up.

I couldn't help but wish I'd had the journal with me. I was scared and I didn't have her with me. Mom wasn't there either. For all her flaws, mom always fought for me. She held me when dad was in one of his moods and she didn't give up until it got too much.

The knocking wouldn't stop. It was so loud, so harsh. It had to have been my father.

Lace stirred and I knew I couldn't keep waiting for him to leave. Because there was a chance that he wouldn't and that if he got in, he'd hurt her.

I gathered all my courage and took my quivering body to the door and heard deep sobs on the other side of it. It eased my heart a little, just knowing that it wasn't my father. I opened the door and it was just Wendy.

"Can I crash here?"

"Another fight with Finn?" I asked, taking her in my arms and giving her a hug.

"Draxy, I wish this was about him."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I just--I wanted to spend some time with you."

"It's the middle of the night."

"Draxy, I know. Listen, it has to be just us, okay?"

"Are you okay?"

"Yes! I'm fine. Just, sit with me and make me some coffee and let's watch a movie or something."

"There's school tomorrow."

"I've skipped for less."

"What's going on?"

"Stop looking at me like that! Drax, I'm fine. I just don't see you enough, okay? And you got my boyfriend drunk and went on a date and I know very little about both of those things, so tell me! Let's just talk, okay?"

"I didn't mean to get Finn drunk--"

"I know, his alcohol tolerance is miserable, try being in love with someone like that. Just, tell me how it went."

"It was Lock's idea, you know how Lock is. He gets an idea into his head and--"

"How was your date?"

"It was really good, Mercury's great, she's--"

Wendy kissed me. Her face was on mine for the briefest of moments and it was a little scary.

I pulled away, or maybe she did, it happened so fast. 

"Why did you do that?" I asked, still tasting her on me.

"I don't know. I thought that would make it better, I--I'm sorry."

"Wend...is this really not about Finn?"

"Yeah, no, this isn't about him. I'm happy with him, well, in a way. Despite everything, he's still always there. And this isn't about him."

"So what's it about?" I nudged her slowly.

"You. Me? I don't know."

"Let's talk in the morning, okay?"

"Yeah, okay, goodnight."