Catch Up (Jay Halstead)

female reader x jay halstead
prompt- Jay Halstead: the reader is an old army/childhood friend . She and jay love each other but never told each other. She comes back in town because she a DEA agent and runs into Jay on crime scene. They go out to catch up. They end up telling each other they still love each other."
this was requested Mmcneil17 i'm so so sorry this took so long
word count- 1091 words

"So this is the 21st unit?" I said to myself.
I walked through the doors and I was met with a lady with white hair.
"Hi, I'm looking for Hank Voight?"
"Are you the DEA agent that has the evidence to lock up Petar Neshkov?"
"I am."
"Alright I'm Trudy I'll take you up." I nodded and followed her up to the bullpen.
"Hanks office is through there." I nodded and made my way over to his open door. I knocked on it causing him to look up.
"Can I help you?"
"Yes. I am Agent Y/n Y/ln."
"Oh come on in Agent Y/ln. It's good to finally put a face to a voice."
"I can say the same Sargent Voight. It's nice to meet you." I said shaking his hand.
"Here's your evidence. I will be taking the suspect back to New York."
"He's actually not here yet. Two of my detectives are going to get him now. Your more than welcome to wait here."
"Alright, let me just make a call and see if my patrol officers are at the airport yet to escort the suspect back to New York."
He nodded.

An hour after I made my call two officers walked in with the suspect. A female with long blonde hair, and male with short brown hair.
"Sarge is the DEA agent here yet? She was supposed to be here two hours ago?" The brunette asked.
"Actually I was here on time, except I was accepting my suspect when I got here." I said causing the detectives to turn around.
"Your the DEA agent? No freaking way."
"Obviously there is a way if i'm here." I said smiling.
"Do you two know each other or something?" The blonde asked.
"Yeah she's a friend from the rangers."
"Oh nice to meet you. I'm Detective Hailey Upton." The blonde said holding out her hand for me to shake.
"Agent Y/n Y/ln." I said shaking her hand.
"The patrol officers are here to escort Petar to the airport." The officer who I learned was named Kim said.
"Alright Agent Y/ln do you mind taking him down to the desk Sargent Trudy?" Sargent Voight asked.
"Not at all. Good seeing you again Jay." He waved as I brought the suspect down the stairs.
"What are you the bitch who does everyone's dirty work?"
"No. I'm the bitch that brought the evidence to get you arrested." I said handing him over to Trudy who then brought him outside to the patrol officers. I followed them out to make sure he got in without any complications. I went to get in my car but I was stopped by someone's hand on my arm. I turned around to see that it was Jay.
"Hey!"
"Hey, I was wondering if you wanted to get some drinks at this bar called Molly's tonight? Catch up?"
"I'd love to."
"See you then."

I walked through the doors of Molly's and looked everywhere for Jay. I found him sitting at a table by himself.
"Glad you actually came."
"What did you think I was gonna stand you up?" I asked.
"Maybe." He answered with a smirk.
"I already got you a beer."
"Thank you."
"So when you going back to New York?"
"Tomorrow morning."
He nodded.
"You still married to Abby?" I asked.
He shook his head no with a laugh.
"How bout you? Are you and Tommy still together?"
"Yes and no." I answered.
"What does that mean?"
"It means legally we're married. But we separated last week. Divorce papers aren't signed though because he doesn't think we're actually gonna get a divorce. Claims we're still married. It's just complicated because we have a daughter."
He looked at me with surprised eyes.
"A daughter?"
"Yeah her names Avery. Four years old." I said showing him a picture of me and together.
He nodded.
"She's cute. Looks just like you."
I smiled.
"Well if you and Abby aren't together anymore are you and that detective together?"
"Hailey? No." He said with a laugh.
"Oh come on there's a really not a special girl in your life?"
"There was one but she left without warning the night I was gonna propose to her."
"Oh you mean Erin?"
"So you two have met I'm guessing."
I nodded.
"We worked together out in New York. She runs a task force for the FBI and she's a hell of a good cop and a hell of a good person."
"Yeah she is."
I smiled at him.
"Look Y/n I invited you out here tonight to tell you something since I probably won't see you again for who knows how long."
"I'm all ears."
"I love you. Have since we were in Afghanistan, but you were with Tommy so I ignored it. That was the biggest mistake I ever made." I looked at him.
"Say something?"
Instead of saying anything I leaned over the table and gave him a kiss.
"Do you wanna get out of here?" He asked in a whisper. I nodded and we made our way back to his apartment.

The next morning.
"So this isn't considered cheating right?" Jay asked while I was tying my sneakers.
"Like I said. Tommy and I are separated, but if me and you are gonna be a real thing I'll talk to my boss, she if he can transfer me over to a unit in Chicago."
"You would that."
I nodded.
"I've wanted to be with you for years. I'm not gonna miss another chance."
"What about your daughter?"
"I can get an apartment. She can see Tommy on the weekends or every other week. Something. I'm not gonna make another mistake Jay."
He smiled at me.
"Alright then."
"Alright. I gotta catch my plane. I still have your number. I'll call you when I get to New York."
"I'll be waiting for that call."
"Bye Jay."
"Bye."
I walked out of his apartment building with a smile on my face. I was finally getting the happy ending I wanted.