Guilt (Kevin Atwater)// AN

Female reader x Kevin atwater
Prompt- "how long has it been since you slept."
Reader is a firefighter at 51, and she's Stellas sister. Stella dies on a call when she was saving the reader and the reader blames her self. Reader is married to Kevin. Flashbacks are in italics. There's an authors note at the bottom of this please read it.
Word count- 640 words

I sat next to my husband in bed. The time now 6:47. I looked over at Kevin peacefully sleeping. I hadn't been able to sleep ever since Stella died. The day kept playing over and over in my mind.
4 days ago.
"Atwater, Kidd you guys take the 5th floor, look for any stragglers." Casey instructed us. The fifth floor was was above the floor where the fire started.
I nodded and followed Stella up to the the fifth floor.
"Fire department call out!" We yelled, knocking on every door.
"Nobody's up here!"
"Alright!"
"Casey its all clear!" Stella said into her radio.
"Good! Get out of there. This place is about to blow."
"Coming out now Casey!" We walked forward and almost got to the stairs but the fire jumped. Stellas eyes widened as if she knew something was gonna happen. She pushed me into one of the apartments where there was an open door. I heard a Big Bang and I thought the worst.
"Atwater, Kidd report!" I used my crowbar to pry open the door. I ignored Severides voice coming from my radio and went to check on Stella. I heard a terrifying noise, and I saw Stella laying on the ground not moving.
"Firefighter down! I repeat firefighter down! I need help on the 4th floor now!" I noticed she ran out of air. I took Stellas mask off and replaced it with mine.
"Cmon Stella." I said starting compressions.
"What happened!" I looked over to Severide running up the stairs with Casey, Cruz, and Gallo.
"She ran out of air trying to save me! We gotta get her out of here now!" I helped the boys carry her out and over to Brett and Foster.
"She's not breathing and there's no pulse. Charge to 300."
"Clear." Brett shocked her and checked her pulse again.
"Nothing."
"One more time. Charged to 500. Clear." She checked her pulse again. Nothing.
"Time of death, 15:27."

That number stayed in my brain. 15:27. I was broken out of my thoughts when Kevin's alarm started to go off. He turned it off before sitting up himself.
"What time did you wake up?" He asked rubbing his eyes.
"Never slept."
"You look exhausted. How long has it been since you slept?"
"Four days."
"Y/n, you need to sleep."
"I can't. I stay up all night thinking about my sister."
"I know what your doing. You can't blame yourself. You aren't the reason she's dead."
"She died saving me Kev. She's dead because of me."
"No she's not. She chose to protect you, because she loved you. She would hate to see you stressing over this." I nodded but wiped the tears off my face. Kevin pulled me into a hug.
"I miss her."
"I know you do, but you can't blame yourself." He said placing a kiss on my head. Later on in the day I went to Stellas grave and told her everything I didn't get to say when she was still alive, and in return I was finally able to sleep.

Okay this is the authors note im talking about. If your too young to read about adult topics please don't read anything that says NSFW on it. If you don't know what NSFW stands for it's safe to say your not old enough to read it so please don't. Thank you. That's all have a great day guys.