The Most Important Thing Part 3 (Jay Halstead)

Female reader x Jay halstead
Part 3 to the most important thing.
This was requested by CoreBore123 PrismaBaca and DaisyMales hope you enjoy sorry for the wait! In this the reader works as a surgeon at med. y/ln= your last name
Word count- 777 words

2 weeks later.
After everything that happened with Jay, I kept the kids away from him. I wasn't gonna just let him see the kids whenever he pleased. I filled out the last case file and went outside to get some fresh air. To say it's been a long day would be an understatement.
"Hey y/n." I looked up from my phone to see Jay walking towards me.
"What do you want Jay? I'm at work."
He moved his hands from behind his back and handed me a bouquet of flowers.
"What's the flowers for?"
"I thought about what you said."
"Did you? So then where have you been for for the past two weeks? You haven't picked up your phone?"
"You remember how my dad left a cabin for me and Will?"
"Yeah, what does that have to do with anything?"
"I've been there the past two weeks. Thinking about a bunch of things. I broke up with Hailey."
"You did?" He nodded.
"Why?"
"Because I need to focus on my family and I don't need anyone distracting me from them."
"Does that mean your gonna start putting the boys first?" He nodded.
"I love them. But there's another reason. I still love you and if I continue to be an asshole about my kids bc of another woman I'm never gonna have a chance with you again no matter how hard I try." I laughed.
"Yeah. You were an asshole, I appreciate you putting them first even though we shouldn't have needed to have this discussion at all."
"Yeah. I was being an idiot."
"Yeah, you were. But in all seriousness I do still love you Jay, I always will because we have history. If we work out that's amazing, but these kids will still come first."
"I know, and I should've known that in the beginning."
I thought for a minute.
"The kids are at my moms. If you want to go pick them up you can have them for the week."
"Seriously?"
"Seriously."
"Thank you y/n. I won't mess this up again."
"You better not."

{this is gonna be a what If like if Jay didn't get his act together}
Today was the day that Jay and I were going to court and to be honest, I was dreading the day. I didn't want to take Jay to court but he brought this upon himself.

After a short drive to the courthouse I met with my lawyer and we waited for the judge. I looked over at Jay sitting on the opposite side of the courtroom with his lawyer.
"All rise." We stood as the judge walked in.
"Thank you, you may all sit down. Today we are here to decide the custody of Landon and Lincoln Halstead." She said showing the picture of the children.
"Ms. Y/ln why do you want full custody of your children?"
"My ex husband has been neglecting our children to be with his girlfriend."
"Mr. Halstead is this true?"
"I wouldn't say I was neglecting my children!"
"Then what were you doing?"
"The first time I dropped my children off with my ex wife because my girlfriend had an emergency and needed me."
"What was that emergency?"
"She uh- she had a hangover and didn't have medicine so she called me to get her some."
The judge and I both looked at Jay with wide eyes.
"That was your emergency?" She asked. He shook his head.
"Ms. Y/ln, I understand that you had an emergency as well where you needed Mr. Halstead to take the children and he didn't because he was with his girlfriend. Is that correct?"
"Yes, that is correct your honor."
"What was that emergency?"
"My sister had been in a horrible car accident and they didn't think she was going to make it so I wanted to be there in case God forbid anything happened." The judge nodded.
"I've heard everything I needed to hear. I grant full custody to Ms. Y/ln with visitation for Mr. Halstead."

I walked out of the courthouse and I saw Jay sitting on a bench with what looked to be tears in his eyes.
"I'm sorry it had to be this way Jay. I'll see you around, I gotta get going." I said leaving him sitting on the bench to process everything that had just happened.