The Most Important Thing (Jay Halstead)

female reader x jay halstead
prompt- jay and reader are divorced but they have two kids together named lincoln and landon. you'll have to read to understand bc if i put it in here it would spoil it. lincoln is a year old and landon is four.
word count- 531 words
let me know of mistakes pls bc i didn't reread this.

I ran everyday through my neighborhood at the same time. Today was no different. I was running on the sidewalk when I heard a car behind me. I looked back to see Jay's truck stopping next to me.
I took my headphones out and stopped my workout on my apple watch. He rolled his window down.
"Hey what you doing down here?" I asked.
"Can I ask you a favor?"
"Sure?"
"Will you take the kids so I can go out with Hailey?"
"Seriously? Do you want me to run back to my house with a four year and a one year old? The only way I could take them is if I had a stroller and the thing that goes on my chest."
"Yeah they're in the back."
"You knew I was on a run. What are you stalking me now?"
"We used to be married. I know what time you run. Can you take them or not y/n?" I sighed.
"Yeah." He got out of his truck and went to the bed of it to grab the stroller and the sling, while I got the kids out of his truck.
"Here. Your a life saver." I nodded.

Hours later I sat in a rocking chair trying to get Lincoln to stay asleep. It took ten minutes but he was finally asleep so I put him in his crib.
"Here Landon, you have an hour and then it's bedtime." He nodded and I handed him the tv remote. I went to clean up the kitchen from dinner but I was interrupted by the door bell. Immediately our dog Abby went crazy.
"Shh, Abby your gonna wake the baby up."
I went to answer the door to see Jay standing on the other side of it.
"What do you want?"
"I came to get the kids."
"Jay, it's 10 at night." I said stepping out into the cool summer air.
"Okay, it's my week with them."
"You ditched them to be with Hailey!"
"Something important came up Y/n!"
"Really Jay? Nothing is more important than those two boys in there! They come before Hailey, they come before Voight, they come before your job, they come before Will, they come before me, and most importantly they come before yourself! You are the reason those two kids are here. You took that responsibility and you can't just leave them with me whenever you choose Jay. You are their father and they love you and you love them. They can stay with me tonight come back in the morning." I went to shut the door.
"But!"
"Don't." I shut the door in the face and left him outside while I went inside to put the kids inside. I know he loves the kids but he needs to put them first.