Freedom

"Oh GROSS!" Ryan exclaimed in disgust. "Why does it smell so bad?!'

"Well, I told you there would probably be a little smell," Scott said levelheadedly, "It's not that bad."

Scott was doing his best to look unbothered for Ryan's benefit, but was stealthily breathing through his mouth. The whirring sound of the mini saw echoed through the exam room. The long awaited day for Ryan's casts to come off had finally come. The physician in charge had taken Ryan's larger leg cast off first, and the stench coming off the limb was nearly unbearable.

The whirring stopped, and with the hard protective layer of the other leg cast removed, the physician set to cutting away the gauze underneath. Ryan would have been ecstatic about having both legs finally free, except of course that the smell got worse.

"You're doing great," the doctor complimented, seemingly unfazed by the odor. "After we get the plasters cut off your arms we'll get a nurse in here to help with a quick sponge bath before we hand you off to the physical therapy staff for an exam so they can work on your treatment plan, okay?"

They were at the only rehab and physical therapy clinic Scott was able to find that had a decent omega ward. The best part was they had a contract with the hospital Ryan was first treated in, so taking care of paperwork and switching care providers was relatively easy. The facilities here were supposedly top-notch, and they were relatively highly rated online. Scott could certainly say he was impressed with what he'd seen so far.

Before too long, Ryan was finally cut free of his last cast. They'd been given the option to keep them given the drawings on them, but after being exposed to that awful smell Ryan was more than content with the numerous pictures they'd taken. The stench was still unbearable, and with that same yucky smell coming off his arms he couldn't even bear plugging his nose. Instead, once the doctor had finished and left, he laid back on the exam table and focused all his effort into NOT breathing through his nose. His arms and legs felt weird, weak, and cold, and even he could tell he lost a lot of muscle. He moved some things experimentally. Even his hands felt weak.

"Does it feel weird?" Scott asked in an uncanny echo of Ryan's thoughts as he reached down to stroke his fiance's hair.

"Feels a lot weirder than I thought it would."

The nursing staff didn't leave them waiting long, and were quick and efficient in getting Ryan deodorized. Almost more impressive was that the chief physical therapist came in to start the evaluation exactly as the nurses were wrapping up. He was a man with a similar build to Scott, only with slightly narrower shoulders and clearly a few years older.

"Nice to meet you." He introduced himself. "You must be Mr. Neel, right? I'm Dr. Kwan, I'll be the therapist in charge of your case."

Ryan shook his hand apprehensively, but the man had a surprisingly gentle grip. "Nice to meet you too... Um... Ryan's fine. Oh! And ah, Dr. Kwan, this is my fiance, Dr. Scott Kranston."

"Doctor." Kuan reached out to shake Scott's hand as well.

"Doctor." Scott responded in kind.

"Medical?" Dr. Kwan asked.

"Fertility specialist, and RE."

Ryan could tell Scott was posturing at least a little. He had a good feeling the therapist was probably an alpha too, but he'd also caught sight of the guy's silicone wedding band.

"You don't say?" Kwan seemed genuinely surprised. "My wife and I have been trying for our second kid for a while now. We might just have to stop by your practice!"

Ryan could tell Scott relaxed at that. He hid his smile behind his hand. It was easy enough to forgive little bouts of possessiveness like that, especially with everything that's happened. It was cute.