Forever and Afterward

Michael kept his voice low so the guests outside the tent couldn't hear him over the music. "Okay, the kids just started walking. Are you really sure you don't need to use these?"

Michael held one of Ryan's forearm crutches to him, which had been a vast improvement to the walker in Ryan's opinion.

Ryan shook his head, picking up his bouquet. "The weather's been good the past few days, and I made sure to take a little extra pain reliever this morning. I've been practicing in secret, and Scott doesn't know I'm okay for short distances. Besides, I've got your shoulder I can lean on."

"Look, I just don't want you falling on your wedding day. If you go down, you know I'm not strong enough to catch you."

They shared a look, and Michael threw his hands up, admitting defeat. Michael helped Ryan out of the chair he'd been sitting in, and resigned himself to be a living crutch for a little while. Ryan was visibly antsy, heartbeat practically pounding in his ears. They could hear the processional music fade out, and the bridal march start playing.

Michael moved the tent flap aside. "That's our cue."

--------------------

Scott's eyes were just as glued to that tent as everyone else's. He hadn't been allowed to see Ryan since last night, and Dr. Bromsfeld had to remind him to breathe. Scott hadn't even realized he was holding his breath. Michael stepped out first, then Ryan ducked under the flap.

Scott forgot to breathe again.

Ryan was beautiful. The white tuxedo fit him perfectly, somehow elongating his already slender frame. Glowing cheeks, soft lips, the way the curls in his hair caught sunlight oh so perfect... And his eyes... Their eyes met, and neither one could keep from smiling. Scott almost didn't notice something very important. Ryan's gait was different. There was a limp, but not the kind he'd gotten used to seeing. And Ryan was holding a bouquet? Shouldn't his arms be busy with... Then Scott realized. Ryan was walking on his own! Tears stung Scott's eyes, especially when Ryan noticed that he noticed.

Scott couldn't help it. The tears came freely.

Ryan finally made it to the front where Scott and the officiant were waiting. He passed his bouquet off to Michael, and pulled Scott in for a comforting hug.

"Were you surprised?" Ryan asked quietly as he rubbed Scott's back in a soothing motion.

Scott nodded, pulled himself together, and kissed Ryan's ear gently before pulling away. "You look so beautiful, Hot Stuff."

"You're pretty handsome too, Cuddle Bug." Ryan grinned, holding Scott's hands tightly.

Ryan was trying to keep it together too. They didn't need both of them crying in front of the family, even if it was happy tears. And noticing the two bouquet occupied chairs in the front row wasn't helping. He wished Scott could have met his grandparents. He just knew they would have loved him. He gave Scott's hands another reassuring squeeze.

The service was kept brief since they were using a public space, and the officiant was hired from the city office, since neither Ryan nor Scott wanted a particularly religious ceremony. The officiant thanked everyone for coming, and gave a brief history of Ryan and Scott's relationship from a sheet of paper they'd prepared beforehand. It all started with running out of coffee on a Saturday, a lot of learning to trust, and being goaded on by friends and co-workers. What bloomed was a strong relationship, tested and reaffirmed several times over. The officiant went on to say that they had done several alpha-omega weddings, and that it was obvious in their eyes this was one to stand the test of time. Then came the big question.