Change it Up

Of course he was late. Ryan practically jogged from the bus stop to the salon where Michael always had his hair done. It was in a somewhat quiet part of the city, where small shops occupied the bottom floor of buildings with housing above. The bright pink "Omega Safe" sticker was proudly displayed on the door, right under the the "Service Animals Welcome" sticker. It meant that the shop stocked both emergency suppressants for omegas and tranquilizers for alphas, just in case anyone went into rut or heat. It also meant that omegas were safe to remove their collars while partaking of the salon's services. Ryan paused a moment to catch his breath before entering.

"Finally! You're here!" Michael exclaimed from his seat in front of the salon's generous window. The chime of the bells hanging from the door signaled his friends arrival. He had a stylist book in one hand, and his phone open to Pinterest on the other. His clothing was vibrant as usual, though since he was off work, his attire was completed with the addition of several beaded and woven bracelets.

"Yeah, sorry Mick. The bus had to load a wheelchair, so it ran a little late." Ryan sat next to his friend, eyeing the haircuts in the book.

"Okay, so I want to hear all about your date with Mr. Dreamy Doctor Man, but FIRST you gotta help me decide what to get because if I don't figure it out soon I'm going to end up forefiting my appointment and I do NOT want to reschedule this again."

Ryan held up his hands placatingly. "Fair enough. So, any ideas?"

"I'm thinking ombre would be cool this time. Might skip the haircut part. Ombre looks cooler in longer hair." He flipped through pins of different ombre hair styles.

"Why not pink and blue like that one?" Ryan pointed on the screen.

"Yeah, but I did pink like, two dye jobs ago," Mick complained as he continued scrolling.

"What about something like this with the blue and orange?" Ryan had pulled his own phone out to google search dye jobs. "If you got the orange close to your scalp, it won't be as noticable when your roots start to show."

"Dude! That's genius!" He went up to the stylist to show her the pic and confirm she could do it. He flashed Ryan a huge thumbs up. "You sure you don't want a haircut, bro? At least get your ends trimmed, they're all frizzed out. My treat?"

"That's okay, you don't have to. I can sit here and wait for you."

"Aww, you know how long dying takes. Consider it payment for your juicy date gossip. An inch or two wouldn't be noticable at all with your curls." Michael pouted slightly, knitting his brows together. "Please...?"

The stylist mentioned that they had an open slot. Michael pulled this every time he went to get his hair done. Usually, he refused, but considering that he's started dating again, what was the harm in giving in and getting a trim? If it got messed up, it'll grow back anyway. Ryan sighed and pulled his hair free of it's tie. It practically bounced as it settled around his shoulders. He started undoing the clasps on his collar. "Fine... But no colors. Work regulations and all."

Michael rubbed his hands together gleefully. Finally! Some off-work time with his practical bestie! He removed his own collar and they were led back to the sinks to get their hair washed. Michael's stylist was the female he talked to earlier. Ryan got a male hairdresser. At least his hair was curly too, maybe this wouldn't be so bad. The water was warm, and the fingers massaging his scalp felt heavenly.

"So, when's the last time you got a haircut?" Michael's voice broke his revelry.

"It's been a few years at least. Hasn't been much need to. It's just easier to keep tied back."

"Now that I think about it, you'd probably look weird with short hair."

"Hey, I had short hair as a kid! Though... Yeah... Thinking back, I looked like a pouf-ball... I prefer it long."