The Interview

(A/N: Hi! So before we begin, the transcript you read in this chapter is from the clip above so you might as well watch it while you read. One other thing, while the transcript was copied from this interview, I had to tweak quite a bit of it to fit the story so it won't be exactly like the video but you get the idea. Ok, carry on! 🙂)

650: INT. NEVERLAND RANCH (KITCHEN) DAY FADE IN:

Two days later, June 14th, 1995. The day of the interview.

MICHAEL: Today's the day.

RACHAEL: Yup... (sips her coffee)

MICHAEL: Are you sure you wanna come on?

RACHAEL: Yes, I'm just a little nervous about what kind of questions she's gonna ask. I heard Diane Sawyer can be a little intimidating.

MICHAEL: Oh honey, don't worry about her. I'll be with you the whole time! (kisses her)

RACHAEL: I know, but the last time I talked on TV was when I did that Christmas special. I was so underweight.

MICHAEL: I know, but you look fine now, and if Diane starts overstepping I'll step right in.

RACHAEL: Thank you.

651: INT. TV STUDIO NIGHT

The interview.

DIANE SAWYER: And with me of course, Michael Jackson and Rachael Jackson. Welcome to Prime Time.

MICHAEL: Thank you.

DIANE: Glad you're here. It occurs to me, looking at the two of you, I have got to start by asking how this marriage took place, how it began. Let me guess it wasn't over miniature golf and a...a hot dog or something. When did it start? What was the dating?

MICHAEL: Well, we first met, she was auditioning for a spot on my Bad Tour.
This was in Los Angeles back in 1988. She was auditioning for the backup singer and she was hired on the spot.

DIANE: Had you stayed in touch with her after the tour?

MICHAEL: Sure, sure. And then she'd come to my room sometimes after the show and then I'd, you know, talk and say hi and then she'd come again. And I thought she was sweet and loving and I hoped I...I always hoped I'd see her again.

DIANE: And who first talked about marriage?

RACHAEL: Well during the tour we started to sort of develop romantic feelings for each other.

MICHAEL: I definitely loved her with all my heart, and at the end of the tour something happened that prompted me to ask her to marry me.

RACHAEL: He...he...go ahead, you wanna say it. Go ahead.

MICHAEL: No you can. You can. You have a good memory.

RACHAEL: Well you said you were going to say it.

DIANE: Our first argument here, um, this hour. Um, who proposed? I mean how did marriage actually get discussed?