Can't Hurry The Harvest

(A/N: The following chapter contains intense, depressing and upsetting subject matter that may be triggering to some. Readers discretion is advised.)

879: INT. PAISLEY PARK (BEDROOM) DAY FADE IN: 

One month later. November 19th, 1997.

MAYTE: (wakes up and goes into the bathroom) 

880: INT. PAISLEY PARK (BATHROOM) DAY

MAYTE: (looks down and goes pale) Oh my God! "I went into the bathroom and found blood seeping out of me." (runs back to the bedroom) 

881: INT. PAISLEY PARK (BEDROOM) DAY

MAYTE: (picks up the phone and dials Prince's number) Hey, it's me... I'm bleeding.

PRINCE: (on the phone) (takes in a short, sharp breath) Okay.

MAYTE: I'm going to the doctor.

PRINCE: (on the phone) Okay.

MAYTE: I'll call you.

PRINCE: (on the phone) Okay. Bye. (hangs up) 

882: INT. DOCTORS OFFICE DAY

Mayte has experienced troubling symptoms.

MAYTE: (to herself) "I went to the doctor's office and got an ultrasound."

DOCTOR: (doing the ultrasound) The good news is that there's no heartbeat. There's placenta, but no fetus. Your body is trying to naturally expel the products of conception.

MAYTE: (to herself) "I was intensely, selfishly grateful for every minute I had held Amiir in my arms, but to prevent his suffering, I would have been willing to suffer anything- including the heartbreak I was suffering now." Thank you... (gets up and leaves) 

883: INT. CAR DAY

Later, Mayte returns home.

MAYTE: (pulls up in the driveway and starts sobbing) (to herself) "I sat in the car sobbing, trying to find the strength to go inside and tell my husband what I had to tell him." (takes a deep breath and goes inside) 

884: INT. PAISLEY PARK (LIVING ROOM) DAY

Mayte gives Prince the devastating news.

MAYTE: (comes in)

PRINCE: What did the doctor say?

MAYTE: There's no heartbeat... There's placenta in there but there was no fetus. It must have been a miscarriage because I was bleeding a lot.

PRINCE: (nods)

MAYTE: (to herself) "The reality of another crushing loss hung in the air between us. It was impossible to read the expression on his face." Are you...

PRINCE: I need to get back to the studio. (walks out the door)

MAYTE: (starts sobbing) (to herself) "In that moment, I decided to stay with Michael and Rachael's for a few days." (dials Rachael's number)