The Duet

19: INT. PAISLEY PARK (STUDIO) NIGHT

DISSOLVE TO:

Prince has a new idea for a song.

RACHAEL: (comes in groggy) You called?

PRINCE: Damn Rach, you look like shit!

RACHAEL: Yeah, because it's almost 4 in the morning! I'm tired!

PRINCE: Can you sing?

RACHAEL: Yes, I warmed up my voice on the plane in between naps.

PRINCE: So... You had time to warm up your voice, but you didn't have time to put makeup on?

RACHAEL: You're not my husband, I don't have to look good for you. Can we just get started?

PRINCE: (sarcastically) Yeah, sure. (hands her the lyrics) This is your part. (the song starts) (starts singing) Could you be the most beautiful girl in the world? It's plain to see you're the reason that God made a girl...

RACHAEL: (starts singing) When the day turns into the last day of all time, I can say I hope you are in these arms of mine...

PRINCE: And when the night falls before that day I will cry, I will cry tears of joy cause after you all one can do is die, oh...

RACHAEL: Could you be the most beautiful boy in the world? Could you be? It's plain to see you're the reason that God made a girl. Oh, yes you are...

PRINCE: How can I get through days when I can't get through hours? I can try but when I do I see you and I'm devoured. Oh yes...

RACHAEL: Who'd allow, who'd allow a face to be as soft as a flower? Oh I could bow and feel proud in the light of this power... Oh, oh!...

PRINCE: Could you be the most beautiful girl in the world? It's plain to see you're the reason that God made a girl, oh yes you are...

RACHAEL: And if the stars ever fell one by one from the sky I know mars...

PRINCE: Could not be, uh, too far behind, (both) Cause baby, this kind of beauty has got no reason to ever be shy, cause honey, this kind of beauty is the kind that comes from inside...

RACHAEL: Could you be the most beautiful boy in the world? So beautiful, beautiful! It's plain to see...

PRINCE: Plain to see...

RACHAEL: (both) You're the reason that God made a girl...

PRINCE: Oh! Oh yes you are! (both) Could you be the most beautiful girl/boy in the world?

RACHAEL: It's plain to see you're the reason that God made a girl! (track fades)

PRINCE: That was great Rach, we'll make this the promo, if it's a hit, we can have your album out by Christmas if we start recording now.

RACHAEL: Now?

PRINCE: Yup, get in that booth. We're gonna do 3 songs, and I'm gonna send you home with some demos and you're gonna pick ones you like.

RACHAEL: (nods) Ok. What songs are we doing?

PRINCE: If I Had You, Lovelines and My Body Keeps Changing My Mind.

RACHAEL: (reading through the lyrics) These all sound pretty good.

PRINCE: Your voice reminds me a lot of Karen Carpenter, I wrote it with her in mind musically, but vocally it's you.

RACHAEL: Ok... Let's do it.

PRINCE: Let's start with If I Had You. (plays the track)